Opera Compatability (HTML Invalid)

Charence 23:32 27 Mar 05

I have just checked my new website in 3 different browsers, IE, Firefox and Opera. In Opera, the page is not displayed how I'd like it to be displayed.

W3 HTML validator identified some problems with the page which I'm not sure how to solve. I'm also not sure which DOCTYPE I should use.

click here for details from W3 validator.

I would like to know what I should be using when setting height and width for a table.

I have used table border="0" width=80% height=80%> which the validator informs me is incorrect.

Any help is much appreciated.

Charence

PurplePenny 00:24 28 Mar 05

Here's the W3C's article on Doctypes click here including a link to valid DTDs click here. You should probably use the one for HTML 4.01 Transitional.

It is only height that the validator doesn't like, I think that you can probably just get rid of it without altering the layout because the layout doesn't fill the screen anyway. The widths will be OK if you put quotes around them. Add an alt="QEHS badge" (for instance) to the image and escape the ampersand (&) in the "getfreebb.com" line (i.e. replace "&" with "&").

Add the DTD to the top then make those few amendments to your code and you'll be OK. Once you've done that try it again in Opera, if it still looks wrong come back to us.

Penny

PurplePenny 00:26 28 Mar 05

Sorry - forgot that the forum would convert the escaped ampersand back again!! Replace "&" with "& amp ;" (without the spaces).

Charence 11:32 28 Mar 05

It is now valid HTML. Hopefully it'll work in Opera! Thanks.

Charence

Pesala 12:33 28 Mar 05

I checked your page again this morning, and the validator still complains about invalid document type. I tried importing the page into NetObjects Fusion, but it still didn't work right.

Then I created my own table with three columns and five rows, and cut and pasted your text and graphics into it. The three middle rows are all fixed height, the top and bottom rows are full width.

The result now works fine in Opera as well as Internet Explorer:
click here

PurplePenny 13:35 28 Mar 05

Have you uploaded the new version yet? Pesala is right - it is still your old, invalid version at qehs. co. uk click here

Charence 17:53 28 Mar 05

i've just uploaded my new version!

Pesala 19:10 28 Mar 05

It still looks a mess in Opera.

Charence 20:25 28 Mar 05

you're right Pesala. hmmm I see your page works fine, I'll have a look at how you managed it and hopefully will get the problem sorted.

Many Thanks,

Charence

Pesala 22:21 28 Mar 05

Try using fixed row heights for the table.

PurplePenny 22:42 28 Mar 05

It will be back to not validating then: height is OK for TD (with a Transitional DTD) but not TR.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…