Opera browser and spyware

Graham ® 11:41 10 Aug 04

Spybot has found 29 items, all cookies under Opera. Haven't used Opera since the last scan, my IE cookies are just the ones I want to keep. All others are deleted daily.

So Opera is taking cookies without it being active! Found this in the small print:

"The Google system serves advertisements and related searches to the Opera browser through the Opera browser banner 468x60 format. Google determines what ads and related searches are relevant based on the URL and content of the page you are viewing and your IP address, which are sent to Google via the Opera browser."

Needless to say, Opera will be uninstalled pronto.

Pesala 12:28 10 Aug 04
  Pesala 15:15 10 Aug 04

This is what Spybot came up with:

Description

Use information about your web surfing… that could include any information, like accounts and passwords.

Privacy Statement

No personal information is used by DoubleClick to deliver Internet ads. DoubleClick does not use your name, address, email address, or phone number to deliver Internet ads. DoubleClick does use information about your browser and web surfing to determine which ads to show your browser.

Although I always use Opera, and frequently visit the Opera website, a Spybot scan didn't find a single Opera cookie. I wonder why not? My copy of Opera is the usual ad-sponsored version.

I don't pretend to understand the technology behind it, or the difference between a safe cookie and one that could reveal private data, but presumably advertising cookies are used to provide data by means of which Opera gets paid by its advertisers, or PC Advisor gets paid by advertisers on this website.

Unless you want to pay for browsing the web, I don't see any way that we can avoid such minor intrusions into our privacy.

The Spires 15:44 10 Aug 04

I have used Opera for several years & now on Broadband as my default browser, it is several weeks since I had any spyware on my Pc, either with Spyware Sweeper, Spybot, or Ad-Aware.

Graham ® 18:03 10 Aug 04

The ones I got were DoubleClick, Advertising.com, AvenueA,Inc, Mediaplex and Valueclick.

Djohn 18:09 10 Aug 04

Are you using spywareblaster? This will stop them from getting on in the first place. click here excellent application. j.

Graham ® 19:23 10 Aug 04

Yes I am.

bertiecharlie 20:02 10 Aug 04

Spywareblaster provides protection against certain spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer, (and IE based browsers), and also Mozilla/Firefox. It doesn't cover Opera as far as I'm aware.

There's a setting in Opera, (Tools/ Preferences/ Privacy) to delete new cookies automatically when you exit the programme.

Opera are quite open about matters and it is a very good browser. You can have it set to show the generic selection of graphical ads rather than the targeted ads.

I suppose it is just down to personal choice but there is real spyware which can "infect" your computer, and there are spyware cookies. I think there is a big difference between the two.

Graham ® 20:14 10 Aug 04

Thanks for that. I've uninstalled Opera for now, will give it a while to see if Spybot finds anything, then re-install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac