Opera. 8.0 How to install Aspell + Dictionary

Ancient Learner 15:31 30 Apr 05

I've just upgraded to Opera 8.0 and managed to sort out my 'Bookmarks', and all that seems to be working well. The new Opera is noticeably quicker.

I'm the world's worst speller and urgently need a spell checker. I had one on the old Opera 7.5, Aspell, but I do not know now how I got it to work.

I have doenloaded, and saved the following files, but I can't seem to find out how to get them work. I've tried all combinations, and installed them in Opera 8's folder , and outside Opera 8's folder but nothing works at all.

The files I have are

aspell5-en 6.0.0.tar.bx2

aspell6-en 6.0.0.tar.bz2

aspell.060.2.tar.gz

aspell.05.3.3.setup.exe

aspell.en.050.2.3.exe

Those files which have an 'en' in them are the dictionary files.

The last two files are win32 stuff.

The Aspell site gives no help really on how to actually do it.

Can anyone say which files I should use, and then give me an idiots guide on installing them please. (that is, I'm the idiot, not the kind person providing the guide, if you see what I mean - Oh Heck. :)) )

octal 15:40 30 Apr 05

The first three files with tar in them are for Linux, so ignore them, unless you're using Linux.

I'm guessing in Windows all you have to do is double click on aspell.05.3.3.setup.exe first to install the aspell program then install the dictionary by double clicking on aspell.en.050.2.3.exe and that should be it, Opera should find it.

Yes, I'm using the Linux version of Opera and agree it does seem much quicker. Also its displaying some of the pages much better, especially the ones with flashplayer on them.

Ancient Learner 16:13 30 Apr 05

Thank you. I had not realised that the 'tar' files were not Windows.

To make sure, I've downloaded, again, the Windows files. Firstly, I installed as the programmes suggested to their own folder in 'C' drive, That didn't work. So I uninstalled and then installed into the Opera folder which is on another drive, and that didn't work either.

I just can't fathom what I'm doing wrong.

Ancient Learner 16:26 30 Apr 05

hel

octal 16:27 30 Apr 05

I can sympathise with you on that one, I had a heck of a job installing aspell in Linux for Opera to use, but it seems to be working now.

I'm just wondering if Opera needs be installed on the C: drive so that it knows were to find aspell. I know Opera has fixed paths to find things, if they are not were they are expected Opera gives up looking.

Ancient Learner 16:28 30 Apr 05

Sorry I was supposed to be trying the errant spell checker and pressed the wrong button. And it still doesn't work!

Ancient Learner 20:16 30 Apr 05

That did the trick. I uninstalled everything, and them installed on 'C' drive as you suggested. It seems to work OK.

Of course, it does beg the question as to why they give you the option to install elsewhere, when they must know that elsewhere won't be totally satisfactory.

Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…