Opera 7.50 - Rendering problems...

Gaz 25 00:49 01 Jun 04

Now PC advisor worked fine in 7.25!

and so did click here

now... in 7.50 they mess up, the meny bar goes all funny.

PC advisor goes streched.

But they all worked fine! What going on?

Forum Editor 01:09 01 Jun 04

I'm tempted to say you're using the wrong browser, that's what.

Cross-browser compatibility is the web-designer's nightmare, and sometimes you have to content yourself with the fact that the vast majority of your visitors will be using Internet Explorer. Depending on whose statistics you use the percentage of IE users varies from a low of 60% to a high of 90%

Gaz 25 01:15 01 Jun 04

Theres nothing wrong at all with any of the sites above, Im happily viewing them now in Opera 7.25...

but Opera 7.50 aint like them, so guess I'll stick with an older version!

Thanks.

Taran 08:14 01 Jun 04

This has happened many times before when a lot of Opera users stuck with an older version to avoid the problems that the latest version displayed.

I did a conservative estimate some time ago and came up with a multiplication factor of three for the extra time alone required to work out cross browser compatibility issues on a relatively modest site. Even where you set out from the beginning to build in as much compatibility as you can you will almost always have quite a bit of tidying up to do (aka completely rewriting) once browser testing begins and it is, as Forum Editor says, a nightmare.

I wonder if my clients would all be willing to pay at least three times the price I'd normally charge to take this time factor into account ?

I am all for personal choice and it isn't up to me to dictate which browser anyone uses. I rather like a lot of the features built into many browsers but I do wish that they would all at least feature some common ground ability to render pages properly rather than mangle them out of all recognition.

I think we could all cope with minor niggles and accept them but some browsers, and I'm not just meaning Opera here, totally rewrite a page using their own rendering system which often adds proprietary code to the existing page HTML. The results are less than desirable some of the time.

Since this site worked fine in one version but not in another it seems that you've answered your own question. Unless there is a specific issue with how Opera is acting on your particular PC then it would be reasonable to assume that version 7.5 has issues that its predecessor did not.

I also susect that this goes soem way towards the IE market majority. It's not just because IE comes preinstalled with Windows; it is also because it seems to accept more things that you throw at it without falling over than the other browsers do and because it does what its users want it to many people just see no reason to change.

Almost every browser I've tried for Windows has impressed me with its features and overall usability but I've yet to find anything as forgiving as IE when it comes to rendering pages and operating predicatbly with existing web technologies. That's why I still use IE as my main browser and that's why the vast majority of businesses all over the world do not roll out a different browser over their networks.

Gaz 25 11:55 01 Jun 04

Thanks!

PurplePenny 09:25 02 Jun 04

I'm using 7.5 at home and 7.23 at work and I'm not getting any problems. Apart from the fact that I've got a bigger monitor and higher resolution at work this site looks the same in both.

Penny

PurplePenny 20:41 03 Jun 04

"I'm tempted to say you're using the wrong browser, that's what."

<librarian class="stern">

FE! Wash your mouth with soap and water!

</librarian>

Opera users - small but vociferous .....

Gaz 25 14:55 05 Jun 04

Try hovering over the links on: click here

PurplePenny 19:02 05 Jun 04

It seems to be resizing the background box to fit the length of the words.

I think that it doesn't like the WIDTH: 100%; in
A.mainnav

Try this:
WIDTH: 10em;

Penny

Gaz 25 16:42 06 Jun 04

Will do.

I also notices you have added to your webspace gazpage.html ;-)

Was this to try the 10em theory?

Gaz 25 16:48 06 Jun 04

It works !

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…