Opera 7.5 Preview - New Toy for Christmas

Pesala 19:28 22 Dec 03

click here to read about the next version. Read the advice carefully before installing if you want to try it out.

Diodorus Siculus 22:10 22 Dec 03

Bump!

Or go for Mozilla 1.5 - free and no AdWare built in (or even Firebird 0.7 - even better!).

Mike ® 11:38 23 Dec 03

Have you figured out how to import cookies from 7.23? I guess maybe I could copy the file across but not sure where they are stored.

Chegs ® 11:49 23 Dec 03

Please do not distribute the download link directly, but link to the post in opera.beta or in the my.opera.com Beta Testing forum.

Due to the experimental nature of this release, upgrading a previous Opera installation is not recommended.

I'm still on 6.05,I tried 7+ but it has one or two things I didn't like(returning to top of page whenever refreshed)I was informed I could put both versions on my puter,but install of later versions keeps overwriting 6.05.

vinnyT 12:44 23 Dec 03

Hi Chegs, re putting 2 vers on pc, when it comes to the page where it tells you the directory location it automatically finds the previous install and suggests this, you have to give it a seperate location eg. instead of c:\windows\opera6.05 make it c:\windows\opera7.22 (or whatever directory you wish to install to.

If I've misunderstood your post or you've already tried this, no offence intended.

The Spires 12:49 23 Dec 03

Pesala how stable is it, I think I will have a peek at it.

Pesala 13:12 23 Dec 03

That solves the refresh page problem click here and it is a stable final release. 7.50 is still experimental.

I don't have any problem with running 6.05 and 7.23 on the same system. I installed 7.0 to a new directory and all updates installed flawlessly over the top.

Anyone planning to try out 7.50 should allow it to install in a new directory, and keep their previous version installed. "Data loss is a very real possibility."

"This release includes a prototype design of Opera's user interface, which has been revamped to make it cleaner and more intuitive. The ad banner has been reformatted into an ad bar at the top of the Opera window."

Cookies are stored in \windows\cookies\ I don't think they have to be imported. Maybe the wand data file can be copied.

My link points to the thread in the beta forum.Anyone downloading from a direct link might miss the warning that this is just a prototype.

Chegs ® 13:15 23 Dec 03

I have tried several install locations,once trying a completely seperate hdd,it still opened 7+ when I clicked the Opera icon(for 6.05)on my desktop.I'm not really fussed about being on Opera 6.05,it does everything I want(popup blocker/auto-refresh/email)I rarely use IE and regularly set Opera up as default browser.It just irks me that I bought Opera 6.05,and the software writers want me to shell out more moolah for a newer version that doesn't really do anything that 6.05 cannot do(better in my opinion)

Pesala 13:27 23 Dec 03

n the Bookmark Manager, create nicknames for your favourite pages. For example, I visit a few MSN Buddhist Groups

ABC = A Buddhist Community

NTB = New to Buddhism

TB = Theravada Buddhism

VG = Vipassana Group

Now that I have assigned the Nick Names, I can create a shortcut to start Opera with:

"C:\Program Files\Opera7\opera.exe" ABC NTB TB VG

PS. Visit the Beta Forum click here for comments on 7.50 preview version. Stability doesn't seem to be a problem.

Pesala 13:34 23 Dec 03

I have: "C:\Program Files\Opera\opera.exe" for Opera 6.05, but "C:\Program Files\Opera7\opera.exe" for Opera 7. Maybe you don't have the full path in there or the target is an HTML file, in which case it will be opened with your default browser.

If you've paid for 6.05, you can still use the free ad-sponsored versions of 7.x. Version 7.50 claims to use much less space for the browser. On 1024 x 768 I never noticed a problem in 7.x as it is more customisable than 6.05. If there is a problem on some pages, I switch to fullscreen mode (F11), but I still have the toolbars that I need.

Pesala 13:39 23 Dec 03

Download my minimised_menu.ini file click here and install it in \Opera7\profile to use with Opera 7.x. The greatly streamlined menus make Opera easier to use as it eliminates most of the lesser used options.

You can easily switch back to the default menu from preferences. (Alter P)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…