Opera 7 cannoy find proxy server

rawprawn 13:26 10 Jun 03

I have just downloaded Opera 7 & installedit, but I am getting the message cannot find proxy server. How do I get it online?

Pesala 13:34 10 Jun 03

Are you on a network?

Preferences, Network, Proxy Servers is blank for me, but I don't use a network.

rawprawn 14:06 10 Jun 03

No, I'm not on a network I'm stand alone. it seems to be giving me problems in Outlook as well , when I picked up the PCA reply email Word wouln't open the link to take me to this page. I will keep playing with the preferences to see if I can get it working.

Pesala 14:30 10 Jun 03

I'm on NTL Home broadband, so there is no dial-up. I just ping the bbc to check if the connection is up or down, if I am having problems. If you are on dial-up, you might have to go online with BT-click or whatever first. I can't remember.

Setting up an email account should be easy. File, Import, Mail, then choose your program. That should import your account settings and messages.

rawprawn 14:38 10 Jun 03

Ok, I have got it online, but the only way I could do it was by dialling up with IE first then go with Opera. I think I can solve the email problem but I can't figure out why it won't dial up on it's own. It is telling me that pop3 & Smtp are disconnected, & I can't see where to put it right in preferences. I wonder if I had a bad installation for some reason, I thought it would seek out it's own connections.I have allowed it in my firewall.

Lillylou 15:08 10 Jun 03

I had the same problem when I installed Opera 7. I am with BT Openworld and I couldn't use my Incredimail either. In the end I had to uninstall it.

powerless 15:12 10 Jun 03

In opera there has to be the option to send all connections a through a proxy server (just like in MSIE).

Opera is probbly set to go through a proxy, but there isn't one (as some ISP, dont allow you to) or the settng for the proxy server are wrong.

Find this setting. (cant remember where it as i dont use opera anymore)

rawprawn 15:50 10 Jun 03

Thanks for your help guys, I have spent the last all afternoon playing around with it & getting nowhere except creating other problems. I have decided to uninstall it on the basis that IE works perfectly well for me with no problems, so if it aint broke don't fix it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…