OpenOffice v2 Final Available for Download...

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 10:20 21 Oct 05

click here

OpenOffice.org 2.0 Is Here

OpenOffice.org 2.0 is the productivity suite that individuals, governments, and corporations around the world have been expecting for the last two years. Easy to use and fluidly interoperable with every major office suite, OpenOffice.org 2.0 realises the potential of open source.

With new features, advanced XML capabilities and native support for the OASIS Standard OpenDocument format, OpenOffice.org 2.0 gives users around the globe the tools to be engaged and productive members of their society.

Download it now. If it is not ready today in your language, it will be shortly. OpenOffice.org 2.0 is yours.

click here for Features
click here for Press Release
Press Information

sharkfin 22:54 21 Oct 05

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth,

How good is this office quite is compare to MS office 2003?

I have microsoft office preinstalled but only ever really use the Word application for uni. I've heard alot of people goig on about Openoffice and it does sound like an interesting alternative.

If you had office, would you ditch it for openoffice?

I like the idea of using opensource software but would just like an opinion on this one.

Its a big download.

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 22:59 21 Oct 05

Well, if I had Office 2003, I'd prob use that instead, but as I can't afford the extortionate price tag, this is most certainly my second choice. It could, perhaps, do with a PIM like Outlook but I'm so very happy with it (especially considering the pricetag.

It's not such a bad download if you're on Broadband, but as a dialup user it could be somewhat tedious.

I'd recommend OpenOffice to anyone. Top stuff; especially if you're a home user.

Diodorus Siculus 23:05 21 Oct 05

I use it a lot on my laptop (Linux version) and it is pretty good.

Mind you I don't go in for all the advanced features of MS Office - just use Word and a bit of Excel at times.

sharkfin 23:23 21 Oct 05

Yes, I feel MS office is unessessary for the avaerage home user as i feel only 10% of its capabilities ever gets used. For someone like me at university who uses only Word for reports and essays. Its an unessessary suite. But saying that, we would all like to have the power and functions there in case we ever (very unlikly) need to use it:)

I'm using office XP student edition which does everything i'll ever need it to do. I also have microsoft Works on my 5 year old pc, which does everything I need it to. But you always want the best of everything dont you! lol.

I was looking at office 2003 but i guess it'll just be a stupid idiot purchase :) so i dont think i'll bother. I'll give openoffice a try.

Simsy 23:30 21 Oct 05

MS Office 2000 preinstalled when I got my PC some years back. In recent years I've started delving into VBA.

Because I have it, I wouldn't dump it... but if I didn't have it, and had never had it, I wouldn't be prepared to pay the asking price, when the like of OpenOffice is available.

I have OpenOffice installed and I use it for testing and comparison with files that might need to be opened using it. I do think it's superb

However, and for some folk it's a big "however", having got into VBA, and having loads of Excel sheet with Macros, which OOffice can't handle, I can't do, long term without the MS product.

If you don't "do" VBA I think Open Office is very hard to beat.

Regards,

Simsy

bretsky 23:42 21 Oct 05

For a free application, I think it's great, I use v1.9.95 which has writer, calc, Base Impress and draw and what I love is the fact you can save your files to open in a M/S office application, Word, Excel etc etc.

I just had M/S Word 2000 preinstalled and a Works Suite, so I feel quite chuffed that I have O/O all for free. You do get the odd occasional crash other than that, virtually trouble free.

bretsky ;0)

johnnyrocker 00:00 22 Oct 05

it would appear you ( from your posting) not have the latest which is ms compatible. go get it as the post suggests.

johnny.

smullan_2000 01:37 22 Oct 05

open office is free, thats about the only good thing about it...

Only use it if you have alot of ram too,,,

Have a look click here

Belatucadrus 09:52 22 Oct 05

click here PCPro introductory comments on V2, plus their review of its predecessor. click here

bretsky 18:13 22 Oct 05

Ok, just to keep you happy I have downloaded and installed V2.0, I only hope I'll notice the difference!

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…