openme.exe problem

notmeguv 21:11 15 Jan 04

windows xp pro, every time i boot my computer i get windows failed to find the file openme.exe. it tells me to search manually but ive tried that loads of times. i tried disabling all my programs on startup but it always says it. please help.

Big Elf 21:16 15 Jan 04

Have alook at click here while I do some more searches.

Big Elf 21:19 15 Jan 04

Also click here to stop it running.

Also check out Grisoft AVG Free edition from click here

Download and run

Spybot click here

AdAware click here

SpywareBlaster click here

Look at Free firewall Zone Alarm from click here if you don't have one.

Big Elf 21:20 15 Jan 04
  notmeguv 21:20 15 Jan 04

but i dont understand that stuff. i thought shells were on the back of turtles.

Gaz 25 21:21 15 Jan 04

It is a virus:

Just throwing an idea out to you; it may or may not apply.

Check your System.ini file for a possible reference to 'openme.exe'. Hit Start, click run and type Msconfig and press {enter}.

Go to its 'System.ini' tab, expand the [boot] folder and make sure that the entry for shell= only reflects shell=Explorer.exe and nothing else. If openme.exe is appended to this entry, edit that reference out of that line and ok out.

If this was the case, then, try rebooting and see if at least this error is gone (then try running NAV). If not, perhaps other users can offer suggestions.

notmeguv 21:25 15 Jan 04

but there is no[boot] file in system.ini

Nellie2 21:27 15 Jan 04

If you want help getting your PC cleaned up then post here click here

Jester2K 21:53 15 Jan 04

You've HAD A virus and now its gone. the system.ini bit only applies on Win 9x PCs. As you are running XP you need to search the registry.

Easy way to do it.

Open Notepad and copy the following 5 lines (including 1 blank one) into it but with out the LINE_1: bits... (NOTE 2 and 4 are blank)

LINE_3:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

You should have REGEDIT 4 on line 1, a blank line 2, the [HKEY etc...] on line 3, blank line 4 and "Shell"="explorer.exe" on line 5.

The save it as "fix.reg" It should have a white icon with a blue box on it. Double click it and say YES.

VoG II 21:54 15 Jan 04

Related thread click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…