opening Word in Win7

redeyenewby 15:11 PM 01 Dec 12

I have Win 7 and Office 2007. I cannot gat Ms Office 2000 files to open in a text encodong I can read. These documents were created using Office 2000 and XP. When I access the folders on my external hard drive I am asked which text encoding to use. I don't recognise any of them. Any I open are totally uninteligable. Help please. P.S. I have reinstalled Office 200 so I can access 2000 or 2007. Also I cannot find my Microsoft Works. Which programme is this in? Thank you. tedeyenewby

Sea Urchin 15:17 PM 01 Dec 12

Have a read of this:

Open Word 2000 docs in Word 2007

Woolwell 15:29 PM 01 Dec 12

MS Works will not be there. You should be able to open many of the Works files by first opening Word or Excel and then opening the file.

redeyenewby 11:26 AM 02 Dec 12

Thank you Sea Urchin and Woolwell, The document in question is a tabulation of names and addresses.The suffix is.wdbWhen the file is opened I get a list of text encoding to choose from. I'll see what I can do in the meantime.Hopefully the information in the web page I opened will allow me to convert. I'll jst have to suck it and see. Thank you both for your help. redeyenewby

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:58 AM 02 Dec 12

wdb is a works data base file and needs to be converted to use in Excel not Word.

Sea Urchin 12:16 PM 02 Dec 12

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says this is a database file. My original answer was based on the title of the thread.

redeyenewby 22:23 PM 02 Dec 12

Dear Frait Bat/\0/\, The download did not appear to have downloaded. See the two reviews of this programme. If I did get it to download, how do I use it? Hope you can help, you have in the past. regarfds, redeyenewby

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:38 PM 03 Dec 12

The best solution is to load up the database into an old copy of Microsoft Works

then export as CSV, or some other file format readable by Excel or Access.

If you only have the database file, this convertor may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…