Opening unsafe attachments in Outlook Express

oldal 12:16 15 Nov 04

I have just performed a clean install of Win98se
and Outlook Express / Pccillin. I now cannot open Email attachments, OE says "removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail
XXX.doc" also happens with rtf files. I have checked Windows and OE options which look OK.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Gongoozler 12:30 15 Nov 04

Make sure you have an updated antivirus installed. Then in OE, click on Tools - Options - Security. Remove the tick from the box alongside "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus".

oldal 13:12 15 Nov 04

Many thanks Gongoozler, got it in one.

Stuartli 13:16 15 Nov 04

Apart from the fact you should permanently disable the Preview Pane, it also enables you to read suspect e-mails in safety.

Right click on the e-mail, click Properties and you can then read the header.

To read the contents, select Message Source.

If anything is suspicious, keep Cancelling and then, whilst the e-mail is still highlighted, Delete it using the Toolbar's Delete button.

Terry Brown 14:45 15 Nov 04

An easier way is to do the following: Open outlook Express, Go to TOOLS, OPTIONS, SECURITY, unclick 2nd square box. Problem solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…