Opening a Router port

thumbscrew 21:45 PM 05 Mar 12

According to U-Torrent, I need to open a router port as it's being slowed down. I'm wary about meddling too much, can anyone advise. It's a D-Link DSL 2680.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:15 PM 05 Mar 12

seehere

thumbscrew 22:30 PM 05 Mar 12

Thankyou Fruit Bat, seems a tad too involved for little old me, especially with my ham fisted track record! Unless there's a simpler way, I think I'll tolerate the slow downloading speed.

KRONOS the First 09:46 AM 06 Mar 12

Try this, I found it reasonably simple when I did it many years ago or buy the software.Port forward.

thumbscrew 10:53 AM 06 Mar 12

Many thanks Chronos, unsure if it's a freebie or whether there's cash involved. Completely in the dark about the procedure or if there's potential for catastrophe if I persist. After download...what then??

robin_x 11:11 AM 06 Mar 12

Scroll down and Select your router from the list.

An advert page appears, click Skip (top right).

Scroll down for the list of progs/apps you want to open a port for. When you click one, you will get free step by step instructions.

I remember finding it a bit confusing too.

By the way, when you connect to router admin pages (type 192.168.1.1 in your browser bar), have a hunt around for an option to backup/save your router settings. If you ever mess anything up you will be able to restore it.

thumbscrew 12:42 PM 06 Mar 12

Thanks Robin, clear if worryingly convoluted! I'm up to "Forwarding the port". When I do this, is there potential for router damage? I'm unclear what Forwarding refers to...Forwarding to who or where?

robin_x 13:08 PM 06 Mar 12

You won't damage anything.

I won't explain Port Forwarding myself. See the first few links here.

thumbscrew 13:25 PM 06 Mar 12

Thanks Robin.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites