Opening a renamed JPEG file extension

Alan Ryan 11:05 30 Sep 03

I received a couple of JPEG images in an e-mail attachment that I saved in My Documents. When I tried to rename these files (change the file name extension), I got a warning saying that a change of name might make the file unusable. Is there a way round this which will allow me to rename the files and open them immediately with a double or a right click ?

Peverelli 11:18 30 Sep 03

Why do you want to change the file extension? You can rename the first part (eg. plants.jpg to flowers.jpg) but it's best to leave the extension alone.

Chris the Ancient 11:18 30 Sep 03

Yes, you can rename the extension - but make sure you don't use an existing extension 'name' or that WILL cause problems.

The next time that you double click on the icon - or call up 'open' you will be told the extension is not recognisable. Select the correct program from the available list and then make sure that the 'always use...' is checked.

Experiment first with a copy of the picture!

But, curiosity rules. I do have to ask, why?

Mango Grummit 11:21 30 Sep 03

Note that changing the name of the file extension does not change the nature of the file .. ie. it will still be a jpeg. You can change it from jpeg into many other file types but not in the way you are trying.

Chris the Ancient 11:24 30 Sep 03

Good point!

Alan Ryan 11:29 30 Sep 03

Thanks Chris:
The files I'm talking about have names like
G2. 24-09-2003 - 0739A-jpg This sort of "name" isn't handy enough to identify which image is present. I wanted to give it a "user-friendly" name. I have done what you suggested and can open
immediately in Windows Pictures & Fax Viewer but still can't give the file the name I want.

Taff36 11:32 30 Sep 03

Why can`t you rename them in Windows Explorer by simply right clicking them and choosing rename?

Alan Ryan 11:37 30 Sep 03

With the hints given by your responses, I've just figured out how to do what I want. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…