opening programmes from start button

bob 00:13 13 Aug 06

I am having trouble getting programmes to open after being on the internet. Whenever I try all I get is the arrow and egg timer, the arrow and nothing else. To open a programme I have to press the reset button.
I have noticed that the dard disc light keeps flickering. I have run Adaware, Spybot search and destroy Windows defender and AVG virus checker. The spyware discovered was deleted with no viruses.Before writing this plea for help I tried opening a programme and 5 minutes later it opened on top of this page. I am using XP Pro with SP2. I hope that the explanation given is clear. Can anyone help?

rdave13 00:38 13 Aug 06

By"dard disk light keeps flickering", you mean that the disk drive is active?

rdave13 01:45 13 Aug 06

Start>>run>> scf /scannow, and have your xp oem disk available. Note the space.

VoG II 08:32 13 Aug 06

Should be

sfc /scannow

click here

User-312386 10:53 13 Aug 06

how much RAM do you have?

bob 16:41 13 Aug 06

Rdave13 Yes, the hard disc light flickers

Rdave13 and Vog I ran sfc /scannow and there was no report of what was found, if anyhting. Is this what was supposed to happen?

madboy33 I have 320Mb of ram

User-312386 18:53 13 Aug 06

run cc cleaner click here

bruno 19:11 13 Aug 06

Run Disc cleaner as well.What one misses the other will get.This should speed it up.The fault you describe is not always that something has gone wrong,maybe it just needs more regular housekeeping.Apologies in advance if you have already done this.

bob 14:53 14 Aug 06

madboy33 - I`ve run cc cleaner and was surprised to find how much junk was stored on my disc.It has made a considerable difference. Thanks very much.

bruno - Disc cleaner was run and unwanted rubbish deleted. Between you and madboy33 the problem may well be sorted. Thank you very much as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…