Opening NEF files

Dave was 7312 12:33 22 Nov 06

I have been using Ifanview to open my NEF files.
However when I attempt to open with 'external editor' ie file>open with external editor(I wish to open the files in Photoshop CS) I get an error message 'No external viewer defined check the option in Properties'. I go to >options>properties but there I am lost.How do I open NEF files in Photoshop from Ifanview? Is it possible or must I purchase one of Nikon's expensive programs? Heaven forfend!
If I try to open a NEF file directly in Photoshop I get an error message 'Could not complete your request because of a disk error' Has anyone any ideas as to how I should proceed?

rodriguez 12:45 22 Nov 06

NEF files are Nikon Raw Picture files (there's no compression) - click here for XnView which can open and convert .nef files. You can then convert them to another good photo format - TIF. These can then be opened with PhotoShop and edited. You can also convert them to JPEG, but this is a lossy compression and can decrease the image quality. You can also click here for a site that has information about other file extensions and what programs can open them.

AndySD 12:47 22 Nov 06

click here Adode Support, there is a photoshop plug-in click here the RAW Plug-in

iambeavis 13:09 22 Nov 06

You can also convert the .nef to .dng, using Adobe's dng converter - click here, archive the original .nef for safekeeping and open the .dng in 'Photoshop' using the 'camera raw' plugin, available in AndySD's link. You will need the 'camera raw' plugin in order for 'Photoshop' to open any raw files.

Dave was 7312 13:55 24 Nov 06

Thanks guys for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced