Opening files across Win98 / XP platforms

The Belarussian Mafia 10:10 22 Dec 04

(NB -I'm on Win98.) I seem to remember reading that if you move to Win XP from Win 98 and you want to be able to read old files, you have to load XP using Win98 format rather than NTFS. Does this mean files saved to disk can also not be opened across platforms? And what particularly interests me at this moment is I've sent a Microsoft Word file as an email attachment to some friends - will they not be able to open it if they are using XP? Come to think of it, what about jpeg files too...

Gemma 10:20 22 Dec 04

1. A data file such as letter.doc or expenses.xls are the same across all platforms and not related to the file system in use.
2. The file system (e.g. FAT32 and NTFS) are concerned with the way disk space is managed. XP can use both simultaneously either locally (different drives or partitions) or across a network.
3. The application that reads, updates or creates a data file is not aware of the file system in use.
4. There is no problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:29 22 Dec 04

NTFS is just a better way of organising files on the hard drive (saves more space than FAT FAT16 or FAT32).

Only problem is NTFS was not invented till XP came out therefore old operating systems Win 95 / 98 / ME cannot read thes4 drives. XP can read NTFS or FAT drives and access any old files

The Belarussian Mafia 10:37 22 Dec 04

I can now see that the only difficulty is reading files created on an NTFS partition in XP from a FAT32 Win98 partition (e.g. when both are installed). Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…