opening email safely

podlod 14:58 07 Aug 05

Hi, could someone please tell me how to open my emails or open an attachment safely in case the sender has a virus and yes I should have by now an antivirus, bot every time I try to download an antivirus, it plays havoc with my computor in more ways than one, Thanks for any help, Bryan.

mattyc_92 15:05 07 Aug 05

Avast click here

a2 click here

AVG click here

Choose one of the above (there are more out there that other members know). Just install and follow instructions to protect your system.

podlod 07:32 08 Aug 05

Thanks Matty for your quick response, but could you tell me if I can open an email safely on my pc without an antivirus download?, Bryan

Andsome 08:22 08 Aug 05

The short answer is YES frequently, but you are taking a big risk, because one day the answer will be a BIG NO. There must be other problems with your computer if an AV program cannot download.

€dstowe 08:30 08 Aug 05

If you are unable to install anti-virus software, this indicates something fundamentally wrong with your setup. This may be due to a virus already there, I don't know but, it is certainly something that should be investigated.

Remeber also that viruses can infect your computer in other ways than by email. Some infections occur by nothing more than just connecting to the Internet - no action required on your part.

You can read emails without downloading on to your machine by using Mailwasher click here or Eprompter click here but I should add that this is not the prime function of these, which is to sort out spam and junk.

Viruses are mostly hidden in emails so that you are not aware of them until it is too late and they have infected your machine.

Do reconsider your refusal to download an anti-virus. Not only for your own sake but for others where your lack of action could cause your email recipients to become potentially infected. (This is my polite reply. My true feelings about this would be censored by the FE.)

CurlyWhirly 09:05 08 Aug 05

I for one wouldn't dream of going online without anti-virus software as I have seen reports that an unprotected PC can get infected with malware after just a few minutes if the PC has no AV, firewall or anti-spyware installed.

Stuartli 10:06 08 Aug 05

If you are using Outlook Express the Preview Pane should be disabled PERMANENTLY from View>Layout>uncheck Preview Pane box.

You will now have a list of e-mails and to open one you will need to click on it.

If you have any doubts about any e-mail, right click on the line once to highlight it and then click on Properties at the bottom of the menu.

You will now be able to view the header (details about the e-mail's sender etc and click on Message Source to read the actual message) safely.

If you have any doubts, keep clicking Cancel and then, whilst the e-mail's line is still highlighted, use the Delete button on the Toolbar (top of the page) to remove it, again safely.

You can further delete it from the Deleted Items folder if you wish.

If you have Mozilla Thunderbird, it will only open attachments if you click on the appropriate button at the top of the e-mail.

Re anti-virus utilities. If you download Avast from click here and install it (don't forget to register properly for maximum use period), it will update itself automatically if necessary when you go online.

WillyDR 11:21 08 Aug 05

alternative suggestions:

1. if you have enough RAM and your OS is lean enough, you could run the OS purely in RAM. Infection will have disappeared when you restart (in RAM) the next time. A cross infection to other partitions remains a possibility but is probably less frequent than an infection of your running OS

2. try to use a plain text E-mail client like nPOP :infections can only come from the downloaded files you open yourself. Maybe your current E-mail client can be set up in such a way that it will only be downloading in plain text ?

3. but basically: do install an antivirus! Did you remove all remnants of all installed antivirus software before trying a new one ? Are you aware that in order to uninstall AVG, you do have to go through the install exe file for AVG and then pick "uninstall" ?

podlod 07:43 10 Aug 05

Hi, I want to thank everybody for there response,and to let you know that I have not been completely without protection as I have had Spyware Beta from Microsoft for a long time. What I want to know is that, shall I shut down spyware and firewall before I put on my PC an Antivirus or is my Spyware good enough? Bryan

octal 07:50 10 Aug 05

Alternatively if you really must download a file and if its not too big save it to a floppy disk first then run the AV on it, if the AV finds a virus, destroy the floppy disk, they are only pennies.

Taff36 08:47 10 Aug 05

I would download one of the Antivirus programs above. (I use Avast) Save it to your hard disc, don`t run it from the site. Make sure that you have no other AntiVirus on your system. Check in Add/Remove programs. MS Antispy is not antivirus.

If you`ve ever had Norton (Symantec) on your machine you may need to post back for a link to a remover because add/remove doesn`y always get rid of the remnants of the programme and you will get conflicts. Once everything is clear install the new antivirus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…