Opening dbx file of old emails in oe

greybeard 16:59 12 May 07

I've stored all last years emails, in one file for each month, in a folder for the year.
I now wish to search for a particular email, but cannot find a way of restoring the folder so that oe opens it.
I've found where all my current mail dbx files are stored in the "Store Folder", and tried dragging individual month .dbx files into it, but this seems to have no effect as the folder doesn't appear in the local folder list.
What have I omitted to do ?

Many thanks.

John

Stuartli 17:05 12 May 07

I use OEView for this purpose:

click here

greybeard 17:10 12 May 07

Thanks Stuart, I've downloaded and will give it a go. Looks just the job !

John

sea urchin 17:12 12 May 07

Although your dbx folders were not moved accidently the following link should give the answer to your query.

click here

If you want to download software to open dbx files try googling "open dbx files"

RobbyMac 17:24 12 May 07

File import and choose the dbx file.

MAJ 17:53 12 May 07

Another way to do it, although I have used Stuartli's suggestion before, is to createa new identity in OE and then change the Store Folder to be the old backup folder, that will bring all your old emails into OE.

1. Open OE and go to File > Identities > Add New Identity. Give your new identity a name and click OK.

2. When in your own identity, go to File > Switch Identities and choose the new identity you just created. Make sure you are in the new identity, you'll know because it wont contain any emails except the welcome email, and go to Tools > Options > Maintenance tab > Store Folder button. Your store folder will read something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\your_name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{string of numbers and letters}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Click the 'Change' button to change the Store Folder. Now navigate to where you have stored your backup email folder which contains all your .dbx files and click OK. You will be asked if you want to use this folder as your new Store Folder, choose yes and all your old emails should be restored.

NOTE: Make sure you are in the new identity when you do this, else all your present emails will be lost.

beeuuem 18:03 12 May 07

It is possible to read the mail in OE if you really want to.
Create a folder in OE (right click on local folders/inbox and create a new folder.) Name this folder i.e. the month.

in your saved mail folder rename the folder with the mail you wish to read to match the new OE folder. Copy and paste this into your message store.
When you open OE the new folder should contain the saved messages.

Personally I prefer to use OEviewer!!

greybeard 18:07 12 May 07

...for all the suggestions.
I've tried oeview which is simple, easy to instal and use. Very handy.

regards
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…