Opening a CD-ROM Drive?

Gaz W 21:09 11 May 04

I accidentally dropped a CD-ROM drive out of a Dell PC down the stairs the other day. It fell straight down and landed on the bottom (i.e. the underside of it. I haven't tried it since in a computer, but I know it won't work because I can't open the tray using the "emergency" opening method any more, and when I shake the drive something rattles about inside.

I know CD-ROMs are only cheap but I won't have to spend any money if I can fix it, so I was thinking of taking it apart, when I spotted a warning:

CAUTION INVISIBLE LASER RADIATION WHEN OPEN

I assume this only means when it is switched on, and it would be silly to have it switched on when open anyway, but I thought it's best to make sure.

So, does anyone know whether this warning applies to when it's switched off as well?

Graham ® 21:12 11 May 04

You're quite safe. The carriage mechanism may have just been jolted out of alignment.

stalion 21:13 11 May 04

Yes radiation is probably still there it is not something that diminishes very quickly not advisable to open it but up to you Regards

Graham ® 21:21 11 May 04

:-) This is not nuclear radiation! This is laser light, which is only a danger to eyesight when powered up!

stalion 21:22 11 May 04

thanks Graham for the info Regards

Gaz W 23:26 11 May 04

OK thanks for your help. I'll go and get the screwdriver...

I had to check just in case. Anyway even if it was radiation or anything, the drive hasn't been used for at least a few months, and that was only while the PC was booted up and drivers installed.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Regards,
Gaz

Gaz W 00:30 12 May 04

Unfortunately it seems to have done more damage than just knocking it out of place. A screw with some snapped plastic around it is loose, and everything inside appears to move when I try pulling the tray. I can't seem to make any sense of the mechanism at all, so anyway it's a replacement - probably a DVD-ROM drive or combined DVD-ROM/CD Writer :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…