opening attachments

chids2 00:22 21 Oct 04

I use outlook express on XP home and I am havivg trouble opening some attachments.They are microsoft internet mail messages and I have tried saving and then opening with notepad but all i get is gobbledegook. I know these attachments are photos from friends and other attachments from them(video etc) work. Any Ideas? Please help.

SANTOS7 00:29 21 Oct 04

click here this may help,good luck........

Salinger 00:29 21 Oct 04

In OE go to Tools>Options>Security if there is a tick in Do not allow attachments.... remove the tick - see if that helps.

chids2 00:44 21 Oct 04

no help I`m afraid. The error message says This file does not have a program associated wuith it for performing this action.Create an association in control panel. I have saved it im my docs and tried to open it with word,wmp,notepad etc etc

Clint2 00:51 21 Oct 04

It may be that the messages from your friend was formed in an application that you do not have on your PC. Such as Microsoft PowerPoint. If so, you can download a free viewer from the Microsoft site.

Salinger 00:53 21 Oct 04

If you know that it is a picture or video you should right click it and use "open with" either a Photo application or a video app. e.g. Quicktime -word or notepad will not show anything except garbage. OR ask the sender what format the file is in.

SANTOS7 00:57 21 Oct 04

Found this on another forum, may help..

Q: When receiving some attachments on my email that I am unable to open, the following message appears: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association with My Computer by clicking View and then clicking folder options". I have tried the above without success.

A: You must find out what program is needed to open these files and install a copy of it. Look at the three-letter extension of the file you are trying. For example, some common ones are: .pdf, which needs Acrobat reader available from adobe.com, or if the file ends in .zip you will need WinZip available from click here.

To identify what program is associated with what file extension, you should visit one of the many internet sites providing this information. One site is filext.com.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…