Opening up Acer Aspire L100 small form factor PC

cataloi 14:45 20 Aug 08

I want to replace the existing 1GB memory with 2GB but have not discovered how to open up the casing. I have removed the top cover after releasing the retaining screw but can get no further. Please help!

dlthomson 17:10 23 Aug 08

I'm in the same boat and can get no help from acer Empowering Technology

woodchip 17:27 23 Aug 08

Is there no plate to remove on the bottom or edge to do it?

cataloi 18:35 23 Aug 08

No - there is no way of opening the back plate or the bottom of the unit. It is a 'small form factor' unit, so packed close like a laptop. On removing the top plate there is a further plate inside but no visible means of moving it!

ambra4 18:46 23 Aug 08

How to disassemble the Acer L100 to access the memory slots

click here

cataloi 13:32 24 Aug 08

Thanks very much for your help. I will use your method as soon as I have the time to do it. Acer refuse to help with such questions - thankfully I requested their help by email - their technical phoneline is 50p a minute!!!

cataloi 14:47 02 Sep 08

I have now successfully opened up the L100 and installed larger memory modules. Anyone seeking help will find excellent guidance from the ambra4 download above. My only additional comment is that the three black tabs he mentions need only be pushed gently outwards rather than prising them upwards in order to release the front bezel. I am grateful to ambra4 for his help.

jonno96 14:42 03 Feb 10

I had exactly the same problem yesterday when I was installing 2GB RAM on my neighbour's Acer L100. At first I located the black screw near the front panel and unscrewed that. I now realise that this is totally NOT necessary. The link by ambra4 is the best advice - just look for the black screw at the BACK of the case, practically in line with the memory card reader slot (as seen from the front panel). Then it's very easy to lift out the casing with the handle. When you replace the memory modules, make sure you seat the cards firmly as the first time I replaced them and booted up the PC only recognised one of the 1GB cards. You have to ensure the cards are inserted really firmly into the slots. Many, many thanks to ambra4 for the link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…