OpenGL and Direct 3D on ATI Graphic card

anniesboy68 15:53 20 Dec 03

Would some kind soul please explain what these terms mean and what they do as I have no documentation with my card as it was supplied as a bundle. Thanks

Jester2K II 15:58 20 Dec 03

Both are "langauges" for creating 3d graphics in games.

Direct 3D is part of DirectX by Microsoft.

anniesboy68 16:02 20 Dec 03

Thanks, I should have mentioned I have them both up full for use with Flight Sim 2004. I see no difference with them turd up or to default!

anniesboy68 16:04 20 Dec 03

That should be "turned" of course

Jester2K II 16:41 20 Dec 03

A game will only us one or the other. Both can't be used at the same time.

What value are you turning up?

anniesboy68 16:45 20 Dec 03

Jester2K II 16:46 20 Dec 03

Sorry but i can't see your PC and don't have your Card. Can you tell me what these settings are? Anti Aliasing? Anisotropic filtering?

anniesboy68 17:06 20 Dec 03

Direct 3D......
Anti Aliasing..... up full to 6x
Anistopic Filtering up full to 16x
Texture Preference High Quality
Mitmap Detail Level High Quality
Wait for vertical Sync Always on

Open GL was the same but I have gone back to default on that one re your comment about only use one. To be quite honest I have no idea what they all mean!

hugh-265156 17:13 20 Dec 03

most new games all use direct3d some older titles use opengl and some games give you the option to use either.both do the same thing ie/display the graphics.

what make/model of graphics card do you have?

enabling and bumping up all the advanced features on slower buget cards will slow down your game performance usually.

on faster cards enabling anisotropic filtering and antialising will improve the quality ie/jagged edges and detail and you wont notice the slow down so much.

remember to set up your display in the game options menu also.try and get a balance between quality of display and smooth running.

Jester2K II 17:39 20 Dec 03

Full Scene Anti Aliasing (FSAA) - Full-Scene anti-aliasing (FSAA) is a sampling technique that creates more detailed and realistic looking images, by removing the stair stepping effect seen on the edges of objects within computer generated images. High quality anti-aliased graphics are achieved with sub-pixel edge detection and color compression for greatly improved performance. Full scene anti-aliasing modes 2x/4x/6x

click here

Anisotropic Filtering - Anisotropic filtering enhances overall 3D quality by rendering sharp, detailed textures. As more texture samples are filtered, the image quality improves. Without Anisotropic Filtering, objects and environments in the 3D world will appear blurry and fuzzy, effectively degrading the level of realism. Anisotropic filtering improves image quality by sampling textures more frequently. This is particularly important for objects rotated at sharp angles relative to the viewpoint. For example, textured flat ground in the distance and scenes with rotating 3D objects in the foreground will both benefit from anisotropic filtering, and are typically found in today’s gaming content. The R300 VPU filters more samples than the competition, with minimal performance degradation. Anisotropic filtering modes 2x/4x/8x/

click here

steve0 17:58 20 Dec 03

Flight sim uses Direct 3D not Open GL. Sturmovich however allows you to use either of these - Open GL is much faster on this game - 40% greater frame rate, at least on my machine. Of course Open GL is not a Microsoft standard which is probably why it is so good!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…