Opened Programmes shown on Monitor then disapear

trokies 00:03 22 Feb 03

I run "AVG" AND Zone Alarm. Several weeks ago they were disabled somehow and when I try to open them, they appear on the screan and run - then disapear.
I have now tried to run "Ping.exe", so as to connect a second computer vis "VSocks Light", but I have the same problem. Ping opens, seems to runon the screan then disapears - blink and you mis it!
I am using ME Edition and have just finished downloading the Critital Updates. It warned me that I need to set up my net work again but am now having megga problems

Have you any ideas ---PLEASE

Steve

Lú-tzé 11:55 22 Feb 03

Try removing both AVG and ZA (check ZA site for details of doing a clean removal), reboot, run aregistry cleaner, reboot and reinstall one of them. Reboot and ensure it is working, then install the next.

That might help...

AndySD 12:04 22 Feb 03

You may want to try an online virus scan click here and a Trojan checker like The Cleaner click here

trokies 14:27 22 Feb 03

Cheers both of you.
Am now busy downloading and trying all.

Tried Andy`s 1st, ran online virus and my hidden AVG did find it. Also downloading The Cleaner at present.

Am now deleting progs ready to re- install.
Thanks - will let you know how I get on

Steve

trokies 15:57 22 Feb 03

No Go! sorry if I`m a pain.

Did a clean removal of Zone Alarm.
Unin-stalled AVG.
rebooted no problem

When I try to run Regedit.exe ( there appears to bt two) (NREGEDIT.EX C:\WINDOWS\NORTON\UTILITIES and (REGEDIT.EXE WINDOWS 001)

Windows 001 version it comes up on the screen then closes down almost at once.

I`m not and never have used the Norton one, but I can scan through that file.

I have installed "The Cleaner" all installed no problem.
However, when I run it, it loads the data files, the bar runs across the bottom of open window, then just goes OFF. Not sure what this programme should do , but I would expect a report or something.

I have not reloaded the AVG or Zone Alarm back on, but am still experienceing the same problems.

Have ordered the PC HELP DISC.

Do you think I will have to rinstal Windows

All the best
Steve

AndySD 17:38 22 Feb 03

If you have backed up all your critical data it will probably be quicker to format and reinstall.

trokies 01:01 23 Feb 03

Thanks again for trying to help - it is surprising how much you do learn -
Don`t worry, as the man once said ,"I`ll be Back"!

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5