OpenAL - can I get it on my audio?

chrismuir 20:14 31 May 07

Bought Quake 4 and installed it. When i ran it there was no audio. Went into the settings and found the message your sound device do not support OpenAL. I have a built in audio card on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-7DX+), will it support OpenAL, do I need to install some new drivers or do I need a new sound card?

This is the first game I have bought that has had this sort of problem, is it likely to be a common event with newer games?

MTIA

Chris

brundle 20:24 31 May 07

"If you select OPENAL in the Quake 4 menu and the game crashes all the time and it will not give you the choice to Unselect OpenAL just open the game directory ,Open q4base then look for the Quake4config file then open it with notepad, look for 'seta s_useOpenAL "1"' and change the '1' to a '0' this will switch off the OpenAL support and let you put the game on again - It saves you having to uninstall all the time."

quote from click here

chrismuir 23:12 31 May 07

Ooops, my mistake.

I saw the message 'your sound card does not support OpenAL' and thought that was the reason I was not getting sound. The OpenAL support is already turned off in the config file.

The audio works fine on other games, it just doesn't work at all in this game. Is there anything else I can try?

The built in sound is using NVidia nForce audio.

Chris

brundle 00:27 01 Jun 07

Q4 worked on my mobo which also has NForce (2) audio...

More on OpenAL click here but not a lot of help...

Usual advice, install latest drivers, latest DirectX (april 07 - click here) - patch quake to 1.41, some troubleshooting ideas here; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…