"Open and Repair" in Word 2003

DannyOH 16:22 25 Apr 05

I am working on a very large Word Document (MS Word 2003, Windows XP, SP2) and have just had my first experience with the "Open and Repair" feature--as well as the "Text Converter" feature.
Very disappointing, as neither of them worked. Curiously, neither did opening up the automated backup copy (the "~xxxxx.wbk" file), which forced me into using one of my manually created backup copies.

That said, I decided to check the backup copy itself for errors using the "Open and Repair" feature. As nothing happened, I assumed it simply did not find any errors.

When I say "nothing happened" however, I mean "visibly". On going into File > Properties, I note the file size jumped

from 2,813,440 bytes
to 3,386,096 bytes.

At 20%, that's an enormous increase in file size, and to what is already a very large Word Document.

--Exactly what does "Open And Repair" do to a file to bring this about.
--Assuming I ever have to use "Open And Repair" again on the same file. can I expect it to increase the file size by 20% each time?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…