Open ports ! What do I do?

SB23 21:19 09 Dec 03

Having just run a security scan on my pc,imagine my absolute shock to discover that I have a couple of ports open,(all the others are running stealth),and that these ports could be vulnerable to attack.Despite all my efforts,(I'm still a novice),how do I find out what these ports are doing,and if poss,how do I close them.So far I cannot find any info anywhere,to help me.I run NIS '03,and XP,and thought all bases were covered,I'm concerned because a mate thought he was safe last week,but a hacker got in,and did alot of damage.Am I stupid to be so worried?...Sb

powerless 21:22 09 Dec 03

Colse 'em!

...with a firewall click here

powerless 21:22 09 Dec 03

You can CLOSE them to if you want!

Mike574 23:47 09 Dec 03

Try the leaktest on the site click here . It has some useful info.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:32 10 Dec 03

'a mate thought he was safe last week,but a hacker got in,and did alot of damage'.....your 'mate' was wrong, he did not get hacked. He might have got a trojan or worm but firewalls will not stop these. All a firewall will do is hide your ports. The ports are still there and it is obvious to anyone with a little computer knowledge where they are. hackers are not interested in home computers and theya re not what hackers are about.

If you have a good, UP TO DATE AV you will be fine and if you feel that you need a firewall then try Powerless's suggestion or outpost from click here. You may like to look at the 'I do not use a firewall' here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…