Open Ports for Network - Norton 360

Roger Duke 19:26 05 Jan 08

Hi
I'm trying to confirm the rule I've amended in the Norton 360 firewall on a laptop running Vista HP for my wireless network. There was a default rule "Block Windows File Sharing" which I have changed to "Allow..." but what I don't understand is that under "Only communications that match all types and ports listed below" it only has "local netbios-ssn (port139)" listed. I'm swapping files OK with a PC running XP on my WLAN in both directions and accessing its printer, but according to Vista Help I should have all these ports open --
UDP 3702, TCP 5357, TCP 5358, UDP 137, UDP 138, TCP 139, UDP 1900 & TCP 2869.
Can someone please enlighten me about this discrepancy.
TIA

Killo Bite 22:10 10 Jan 08

I have a someone with a similar problem where I can only establish a wireless conection with their new HP L/top if I manually connect. When restart Laptop the wireless connection is Ltd Access.

Changing the ports is not recomended as loads of stuff can get in. oh and also this is a vista laptop.

Proved by turning off Norton Firewall for a time to reboot proved it. Is your wirless adapter a Broadcom brand on the laptop ?

I have only just started looking into this problem so will call back when I have more info

Roger Duke 09:47 11 Jan 08

Hi Killo Bite

My wireless adapter is a LAN-Express. I have left Norton's port settings as they were, ie under "Allow Windows File Sharing" only TCP & UDP port 139"

File sharing is working fine, although I was blocked for a while by Comodo firewall on the main PC. I never managed to configure it for sharing so I've replaced it with Online Armor. I can't use that on the laptop as it's not rated for Vista.

Killo Bite 23:50 12 Jan 08

Are you saying you have Norton 360 & Online Armor installed and give up on the Norton 360 ?

Roger Duke 11:03 13 Jan 08

I gave up on Comodo. I can see it has great potential but even with lots of help I could not configure it for network file sharing. I now have Online Armor on my desktop PC, and Norton 360 on my laptop. If a Vista version of Online Armor comes out I will try that on the laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5