Open Ports

SB23 21:29 05 Dec 05

Have just found out that a few of my ports are open to something called "network blackjack".What is this,is it a security risk,and if so,how do I close them if they don't show in the firewall log?
Am using Mcafee Firewall.

woodchip 21:37 05 Dec 05
  SB23 10:12 06 Dec 05

Thanks for that,it looks as though the port in question is used by systen services,and third party software,and Microsoft seem aware,but why they call it network blackjack I will never understand.
From the look of it I will have to leave well alone,as,if I start playing with port 1025,things will stop working.Am I right in thinking this?

woodchip 11:09 06 Dec 05

Looks Like a Gambling Site to me. You should check with Some Malaware programs for Adaware etc

SB23 11:21 06 Dec 05

Have already done several scans,nothing shows up,just done another scan at,and the port is now closed.Have just been to Microsoft click here ,on this page it is said that port 1025 is assigned the name "blackjack",so I'm assuming its not a security risk.According to another site the name comes about from the fact that this port was once used by "network blackjack",and is now nothing to worry about.

Das Boot 11:29 06 Dec 05

Hi I would get Zone Alarm Free It will stealth all your ports. And then go click here to check it with shields up

SB23 11:35 06 Dec 05

Wouldn't I have to turn off Mcafee to use Zone alarm,although as I said in another post,am looking for another firewall,now seems like a good time,I suppose.

Das Boot 12:39 06 Dec 05

Hi yes you would have to turn off and uninstall Mcafee before installing ZA. Download ZA disconnect then take out McaFee Install ZA. I have been using ZA for five years and never had a problem good luck.

SB23 13:08 06 Dec 05

Done,port is now well and truly closed,a few more tweaks to make,but ZA seems very good.Scan at is now all in green (stealth).Thanks for advice,and I think you've helped me make up my mind about what to do when my current protection expires in new year.(that was another post) Thanks again.

woodchip 14:26 06 Dec 05

For free AV Avast is what I run.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…