Open in a particular New document Template

swerdna 18:54 06 May 06

I have created New document Template and currently open it by starting WORD and then File New and click the template to open it. I want to set WORD so when I start WORD it opens the new template automaically without all the clicks. I have kind of sussed that it should be made the Normal.doc but dont know how to change normal.doc. Can anyone help with this please.

ade.h 19:42 06 May 06

It's actually normat.dot and depending on your version of Office and Windows (I will assume XP) you will find it at C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

ade.h 19:43 06 May 06

Name your template "normal.dot" and copy it to that folder. Confirm the overwrite when asked.

Nosmas 19:53 06 May 06

I think you might find it safer to rename your existing Normal.dot file to (say) Normal.old BEFORE renaming your new template as Normal.dot

By that means you will be able to reverse the procedure if you want to produce documents based on your existing Normal.dot template. If Word cannot find a Normal.dot template when it is opened it will create a new one automatically, with default settings which MAY not be the same as your present normal template which you MAY have 'tweaked' for some reason in the past.

ade.h 20:09 06 May 06

I keep a copy of my customised normal.dot in my backups folder, along with the settings.ops file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…