Open Office v MS Office

GBL 09:31 07 Oct 09

I am getting a message about the authenticity of MS Office, I only use Word, Outlook for personal contacts and Calendar, and Excel.Is Open Office easy to use as I am considering uninstalling MS Office and installing Open Office. Would that open existing MS Office files??

TonyV 09:42 07 Oct 09

Open Office seems to do most things that Office will do. Certainly for the normal user. I have them both installed on my machine because I got fed up with the inbuilt obsolescence that MS put in to their systems which means they expect you to also buy the next version of Office. It becomes a very expensive option. Open Office will open Office files with no problems.

TonyV

tullie 09:43 07 Oct 09

Yes

GBL 09:59 07 Oct 09

Thanks for that, I will give it a try, I will probably leave MS Office installed for the time being.

Take care.

Trepan 10:29 07 Oct 09

I 'converted' to Open Office 5 years ago and have never looked back. It is so easy to use and has the benefit of not being an MS product. Updates and newer versions are a great feature and the help/forum system is first class - and it is free! although you can make a contribution to further its development if you so desire.

Roger

GBL 10:43 07 Oct 09

I think that I am about to be converted.
Getting fed up with MS.

OTT_Buzzard 10:56 07 Oct 09

I'm a recent convert to Open Office. If you just use basic office functions it's perfect.

I can't comment on more complex features such as macro programming since I haven't used them in open office.

southhead 14:16 07 Oct 09

You say you presently use Outlook. I don’t think Open Office has anything like that, but I use Mozilla Thunderbird with the Lightning calendar extension which, combined, gives similar functions to those of Outlook.
I can recommend Open Office- its great!

GBL 15:41 07 Oct 09

Thanks to all. I am convinced. I will take a look at what Southhead said. Take care.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now