Open Office Table Help needed

Pesala 20:34 08 Aug 05

I'm used to using Quick Fill in WordPerfect or Page Plus 10. You just enter one number in one or two cells and Quick fill fills in the rest for you:

In Page Plus, enter 32, select the Quick Fill handle on the cell, drag it to the right, and Page Plus fills in 33,34,35, .... etc. Enter 32,34 in two cells, and Quick Fill will fill in 36,38,40, etc.

I want to do that in Open Office. As a last resort I could use a forumula, and copy the formula, which is also easy in WordPerfect, but Quick Fill is much easier. In WordPerfect, one just selects the range and clicks a button. It does days and months too. Mon, Tue, Wed; or Jan, Feb, Mar, etc.

Pesala 06:43 09 Aug 05

I am using Open Office beta 1.9.122

I found that the forumla could be turned off for entering an = sign by typing an apostrophe first, then the =, then deleting the apostrophe.

I though of a work-around for the autofill problem - cut and paste from Page Plus one row at a time, which is fairly practical, but not ideal. It would be good to know if there is an autofill feature in Open Office.

Pesala 09:01 09 Aug 05

Unfortunately, pasting from the clipboard doesn't work. It pastes the contents of all the cells into the first cell, and sometimes causes Open Office to crash in the process. So I'm still stuck with manual entry of quite a lot of sequential numbers.

octal 11:12 09 Aug 05

I'm using 1.1.2 and entering 34 in the first cell then using the fill handle all the numbers follow sequentially 34,35,36,37 etc. If I want 34,36,38 I enter the first two numbers 34 in the first cell 36 in the second, then highlight both cells and use the fill handle it automatically enters 34,36,38,40,42,44, etc, so I'm not sure what's wrong with your version.

octal 11:17 09 Aug 05

Ignore that, I was using the spreadsheet, you are using a table in the Word Processor, sorry.

Pesala 11:31 09 Aug 05

Where is the fill handle?

octal 11:38 09 Aug 05

There isn't one in the Word processor, only in the Spreadsheet, unfortunately the two don't appear to talk to each other directly, the only way I seem to be able to do what you want to do is to build the table in the OO Spreadsheet then highlight it all copy it and paste it into the WP document as a graphic, bit long winded I'm afraid.

Pesala 11:39 09 Aug 05

I figured out I can enter a formula referring to the previous cell with something like: "=<A1>+2"

E.g. if I enter 374 in cell <A1> the result in cell <A2> will be 376. However, if I copy the forumla from <A2> to <A3> the result in <A3> is still 376, not 378 <A2>+2. What am I doing wrong?

Pesala 11:40 09 Aug 05

Just the text is copied, not the formula.

octal 11:43 09 Aug 05

The fill handle in the Spreadsheet can be found if you highlight a cell and place a number in it then you hover the mouse cursor over the bottom right of the cell, the cursor turns into a cross, left mouse click and drag downwards or across it will then auto fill.

Pesala 11:49 09 Aug 05

click here

I did that in Page Plus 10, but not many people can open it, so a Word Document would be more useful. I can do what I want easily in WordPerfect Tables, but again, not many people can open WordPerfect files, and WordPerfect is useless for Unicode.

I need paragraph styles too, so that people can easily change the font style or size, and the font used for the caption.

WordPerfect has a formula for entering characters from a code, which would be really useful if it supported Unicode. Enter the Unicode character code in one cell, and the result is the actual Unicode character in the cell above it. One formula could be used throughout the table, and one could use the same table for any character set. That would be perfect. That is quite likely possible in Open Office tables.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…