Open Office: Problems

Spanish City 16:42 PM 23 Jun 11

Am unable to open "Open Office "documents saved as "Word" documents.

Also seem to have lost Open Office spread sheet module.

If I uninstall Open 3.2 and 3.3 and then download/ reinstall 3.3 will I lose existing documents.

Using Java 24.

Help appreciated.

Thanks.

Spanish City.

Taff™ 18:32 PM 23 Jun 11

No you won`t lose the documents. When you have downloaded and installed go to tools, options and expand the Load/Save in the left hand pane. Select General and at the bottom are two boxes, The left one will say text document. Drop the right hand box and scroll up to Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP.

Similarly drop the left box to read spreadsheet and then change the right hand to Excel 97/2000/XP. Similarly for presentations.

octal 19:47 PM 23 Jun 11

As a matter of interest Open Office is a dead project since Oracle took it on, LibreOffice is the new one that has taken over.

octal 19:48 PM 23 Jun 11

Oh, forgot to mention, it's faster as well.

Spanish City 20:47 PM 23 Jun 11

Many thanks octal, your response is a great help.

Wondered about Open Office/Oracle.

If move to Libre Office, will it read Open Office documents. Do you have to do anything special?

Taff™ 09:29 AM 24 Jun 11

Libre Office is at the moment a break away or "Fork" as the community calls it and worth watching. At the moment Open Office remains my recommendation and it does everything most require of a MS Compatible suite. Although I am familiar with Libre Office on Ubuntu 10 most people in this forum who use Open Office will be able to assist you further. Libre Office Wikipedia

octal 18:30 PM 24 Jun 11

Spanish City

Yes you can still open Open Office documents, I do also notice a lot of links on the Open Office site no longer work, make of that what you will.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites