Open Office presentation - odd behaviour as .ppt

Pineman100 18:31 12 Nov 08

XP SP3. I've recently downloaded Open Office.

I've created a small slideshow in Open Office Impress, and saved it as a Powerpoint .ppt file, to send to someone who wants to show it using Powerpoint. I haven't got Powerpoint myself.

I haven't sent the file to him yet, because I'm slightly concerned about its odd behaviour. If I double-click on the .ppt file in Windows Explorer, it doesn't automatically open in Open Office Impress. Oddly, a Save As window opens up, offering me the opportunity to save it again.

However, if I open Open Office Impress, I can then open the .ppt file with no problems.

Why won't the .ppt file open in Impress when I double-click on it in Windows Explorer? Do you think it will be usable by my friend in Powerpoint?

Thanks for any advice.

FreeCell 20:32 12 Nov 08

The program that opens when you double click on a file is determined by File Types (Under My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - File Types tab).

Because you don't have Powerpoint installed There is unlikely to be any entry for the file extension .ppt. (If you scroll down the list to find the .ppt entry in File Types it's likely to be missing.) You can make an association with Open Office Impact by using the "New" button entering PPT and associating it with Impact using browse.

Or try and find the ppt file using Windows Explorer, right-click on the file select "Open with" select OpenOffice Impact but remember to tick the "Always Use this program box.

You can also download a free PowerPoint viewer that allows you to open and view but not create or edit presentations. Office 2007 version available click here

Pineman100 10:13 13 Nov 08

I'm ashamed I didn't realise that, as I don't have Powerpoint, there obviously wouldn't be a file association. Doh!

Thanks so much for your time and your advice. Problem solved!

FreeCell 14:43 13 Nov 08

Glad you've resolved it Pineman.
Worth downloading the PowerPoint viewer if you want to test your OpenOffice Impact presentations yourself before sending them on to others.

Pineman100 15:41 13 Nov 08

Already done, thanks FreeCell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…