Open Office and Java Runtime

Grandad99 16:50 04 Sep 14

Trying to save on Open Office WP document I get a message that it needs JRE in oreder to save.

Googling Java I gather that it can be installed merely to read documents or, in another version, can be used in web design etc. (My interpretation on a first encounter with it)

Trying to download a "read only" version I seem to be forced into the more advanced area and am required to set up an account.

Can anyone give me a link to a basic download?

Thanks

rdave13 21:32 04 Sep 14
  Grandad99 21:47 04 Sep 14

Thanks but I can't see the connection between this and my problem. The forum thread is about opening Word Perfect files with Open Office whereas I'm trying to save an new Open Office document and apparently need JRE to do so.

Am I missing something (quite possible given my level of inexpertise!)

Grandad99 21:48 04 Sep 14

Thanks but I can't see the connection between this and my problem. The forum thread is about opening Word Perfect files with Open Office whereas I'm trying to save an new Open Office document and apparently need JRE to do so.

Am I missing something (quite possible given my level of inexpertise!)

rdave13 21:58 04 Sep 14

Sorry, misread the Trying to save on Open Office WP document , that has flummox me completely.

As for Java us this site to verify your Java that's installed. I don't use it but I think it will prompt for the latest version. Hope that helps.

click here

rdave13 22:16 04 Sep 14

Sorry, misread the Trying to save on Open Office WP document , that had flummoxed me completely.

As for Java use this site to verify your Java that's installed. I don't use it but I think it will prompt for the latest version. Hope that helps.

click here

rdave13 22:16 04 Sep 14

Sorry, misread the Trying to save on Open Office WP document , that had flummoxed me completely.

As for Java us this site to verify your Java that's installed. I don't use it but I think it will prompt for the latest version. Hope that helps.

click here

rdave13 22:56 04 Sep 14

tullie, then walk away. I don't know the 'ins' and 'outs' of running such a site but it can't be easy when you have spammers and other attackers on their servers. This happens occasionally and is fixed 'till the next time.

Some posters here have said other forums don't have this problem but I've had a few pages on other sites when Avast or MBAM have blocked malicious scripts.

Grandad99 10:01 07 Sep 14

Thanks but trying to check as you suggest I get a message "JavaTM is required to display this content"

Catch 22?

rdave13 10:22 07 Sep 14

Not on a PC now so cant check, if you close the pop-up doesn't it go to the latest download page?

Woolwell 12:36 07 Sep 14

Download Java from Java but be very careful because unless you untick boxes it will install the ask toolbar and change your search engine and both can be a pain to remove.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…