Open Office

Diemmess 17:29 19 Nov 09

If you like and use Open Office instead of MS Office, please tell me what if anything are its snags?

I'm used to MS Word and still have important files in Access, occasionally have to read stuff sent to me in Exel.

It all seems unbelievable that Open Office will do [they say] everything that Word (2000) does. and I know "there's no such thing as a free lunch" but will someone who prefers Open Office there must be snags, please what are they?

Quickbeam 17:56 19 Nov 09

Opening an Excel file that's has a lot of design formatting done on it, never opens right. Columns not wide enough, label boxes in the wrong place, hyperlink buttons in the wrong place, colours completely different to the Excel ones, non-standard fonts... all wrong.

It's the same the other way around, if you open an Open Office created sheet in Excel

If it's not a bog standard and simple spreadsheet, it'll annoy you all the time you use it.

If you never do any visual design on your sheets, you might think it OK. But then it is free, so try it out for yourself.

Pineman100 18:45 19 Nov 09

I'd echo what Quickbeam says about Open Office's spreadsheet module - Calc. It's fine exchanging simple spreadsheets with Excel, but if you want to open an extensively formatted Excel spreadsheet in Calc, you may find that the formatting gets screwed up.

I don't know whether you plan to use Impress (the Powerpoint-like module) but I find that opening Powerpoint presentations in Impress is also pretty flakey.

But operating with its own native-format files, Open Office has all the capabilities that I need from an Office suite.

Diemmess 09:22 20 Nov 09

.... your helpful answers, thanks.

For the person who is new to using a computer and only needs to communicate with friends. Open Office seems ideal and for cost, obviously a winner.

For me and probably many others with not only elaborate documents, but some valuable stuff in say Access going back at least 10 years, I'll stay with MS Office even though there are facilities and hidden depths I'll never use.

Belatucadrus 10:32 20 Nov 09

Also the compatibility between Open Base and Access files is fairly limited. Base is also somewhat harder to use. On the flip side I prefer Writer and Impress to their MS equivalents, probably as I'm now more familiar with them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos