Open Office

octal 17:55 07 Feb 09

I've been setting up a spreadsheet today and I've noticed there's no command DATEIF in OpenOffice, has anyone else noticed this and if so have you managed to get around it? I would have thought that they would have included it in the most recent version, still, I can't complain too much for a free software.

VoG II 18:00 07 Feb 09

If you mean DATEDIF see the suggestion from barry houdine (Post # 12) click here

octal 19:00 07 Feb 09

Thanks VoG™, yes it is DATEDIF, just a typo on my part.

I've copied that formula and I'll have a play with it to see how it works.

octal 20:06 07 Feb 09

As a matter of interest I used this formula:
=YEARS(D4,NOW(),G4)

D4 is the delivery date of the equipment, G4 is the expected life of the equipment in years and of course NOW() is today's date, the result gives the actual age of the equipment.

This all part of a bigger spreadsheet that calculates when items of equipment should be replaced in any particular year given the expected life of it. It all works a treat, but is the YEAR statement also used in Excel as well? If it is then thankfully it will be compatible between the two systems.

VoG II 08:45 08 Feb 09

Unfortunately there is no YEARS function in Excel.

Can you explain in words what that formula is calculating?

VoG II 09:23 08 Feb 09

Perhaps if you are trying to calculate remaining life

=G4-(YEAR(TODAY())-YEAR(D4))

Strawballs 14:03 08 Feb 09

You could try here click here

octal 15:45 08 Feb 09

Thanks for replying again VoG™.

The formula I gave in post Sat, [email protected]:06 does work perfectly. If I need to run it in Excel then I can just substitute the YEARS for DATEDIF formula when the time comes, it's not a big problem.

It's a five year equipment replacement plan which I put together. It's a bit difficult to explain unless you actually see the spreadsheet, so I've taken a picture of it click here

The variables that need to be entered are the DEL_DATE, REPL_COST and the AGE LIMIT and the sheet will calculate in what year the equipment needs to be replaced and the expenditure for that year at the bottom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017