Open Office

J B 11:41 27 Sep 08

What do you think of Open Office? At present I am running MS Office 2007 and was wondering if I could run Open Office along side MS Office for a trial period to see which I like better. I know that there is a Beta version of OO you can download but I don't want to do that. If I decide to use OO can I still use Outlook as I like it as my resident email client and don't want to change that at any cost. J.B.

Belatucadrus 12:14 27 Sep 08

Openoffice three is currently in release candidate two status, so it should hopefully be in its final release form fairly soon. If however you want to try OpenOffice two then it's not going to affect Outlook at all as it doesn't come packaged with an e-mail client.
Personally I'd hang on for the new version, should be ready in the next few weeks.

DieSse 12:24 27 Sep 08

You can run it alongside Office2000 with no problems, so I would imagine the same is true of later versions of MSOffice.

I would urge you to try the beta version three though - as it is even nicer to use than version 2.

There is nothing at all to stop you using OO for your regular work and Outlook for email.

Pesala 16:02 27 Sep 08

click here to download 2.4.1

Version 3.0 does have some nice new features, a better notes (comments) tool, and multi-page display mode for example, but I expect there will be some teething problems even if it is released on time.

"Final has, tentatively, been pushed back to the 7th of October, with a new Release Candidate out at the end of this month." click here

Version 2.4.1 will give you a good idea of what it can do. Visit the Oo Community Forum to get expert help click here and read the Tutorials to get started: click here

J B 00:03 28 Sep 08

Thanks for the info, will give the current version a spin. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…