open offfice doc cant be opened in outlook mail

johnnyrocker 11:01 16 Feb 04

as a result of a tip from this forum i took a look at and downloaded open office, used it for the first time today no prob, mailed a copy of the letter to myself at work, when i try to open it i get error that the doc does not come with a program associated with it, i remember when saving it a tip coming up about extensions that could be put to the doc but as i was in a hurry i ignored it, is that what i have done wrong or is something else my prob.?

cheers.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 12:39 16 Feb 04

^

Valvegrid 13:07 16 Feb 04

I think I was the guilty party that suggested Open Office.

Did you make sure you saved it as a 97/2000/XP word doc?

I tried it on my own system by opening an sxw file in Open Office and re-saving it as a word doc, then opening in Word 2000.

The only problem I have found is that if you have used macros to compile the original document the formatting is lost when you save it as a word doc. If you don't use macros it seems to work fine.

Hope this helps?

Paul.

johnnyrocker 13:23 16 Feb 04

it does a bit, macros is way beyond my capabilities so it wont be that lol, as i say when i was saving it to my docs i ignored the prompt which said about extensions etc as said earlier i think that might have been the cause but not sure.

johnny.

Chegs ® 15:02 16 Feb 04

I have just created an OpenOffice doc in Linux,saved it to floppy and booted up XP,installed OpenOffice into XP to view this file,and it crashes OpenOffice.The file is an error report from Linux caused by my attempting to get my ADSL modem working in Linux.I have tried previously to get OpenOffice to work in Windows and it crashed my pc or O-O repeatedly.I'm now going to try creating another file in Linux(of this error)reboot to XP and see if I can open it without O-O crashing/or whilst in Linux,see if I can alter the extension so I can open it with OfficeXP.

Valvegrid 15:41 16 Feb 04

You are probably still at work, so I don't suppose you've got Open Office there to try. Can you remember when you saved the file as a .doc was this the message:

'Saving in external formats may have caused information loss. Do you still want to close'

Paul.

Chegs ® 15:59 16 Feb 04

I have just recreated the file in Linux with O-O and when I saved it,I could use either O-O format or M$ formats,and when I chose M$ format I got the...

'Saving in external formats may have caused information loss. Do you still want to close'

message,but I proceeded anyway,put it to floppy and rebooted back to XP,and opened the file no bother with M$ Office.It would appear from this little experiment that OpenOffice is still a tad "unstable" in windows.

johnnyrocker 16:04 16 Feb 04

thanks for that so far folks, valvegrid i didnt actually get a message as such but the 'tip light bulb type helper lit up' when i clicked on it it offered help on extensions but was in too much of a hurry and did not pay too much attention to it.

cheers.

johnny.

Valvegrid 17:31 16 Feb 04

Just a matter of interest, Open Office works wonderfully in Windows 98.

Chegs ® 21:49 17 Feb 04

Unfortunately,it has always crashed whenever I used it,either with 98se or now XP.I have just received the autoresponse from OpenOffice stating they are looking into my problem.

johnnyrocker 23:45 17 Feb 04

it seems to work fine for me on win xp pro ( although i have yet to search around it's many features) thanks to all anyway.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…