Open Document Text

golucky 22:06 18 Feb 06

I need to open 'Open Document Text' documents in Word 2002. These have been received prepared in the Open Office WRITER programme, part of the Open Office Suite. Any ideas, please?

Eric10 22:46 18 Feb 06

I don't use OpenOffice myself so I could be wrong but I don't think that MS Word can open OpenOffice Write documents if they have been saved in its native format. You could ask the person who sent you the documents to save them in Word format from the File Save As dialogue and choose MS Word (.doc) in the File Type drop down box. Of course, since OpenOffice.org is free for personal use you could download it click here and install it on your own PC. If you choose a custom install you can install just the Writer if that's all you need.

golucky 22:55 18 Feb 06

Thank you for your advice, Eric10. I can instal from PC Advisor's DVD - two issues ago. I had hoped a file converter might be available. I'll put the question to Open Office. Thanks again.

Belatucadrus 01:18 19 Feb 06

Microsoft are notorious for ignoring the competitors file formats, presumably as the big kid on the block they can afford to. The bizarre thing is that they extend this to their own software, Office can't open Works documents without a converter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now