Open up Dell computer

beastieboy 08:51 07 Aug 03

Mate gave me his Dell system to sort out. However with a Bsc and MSc in computing I can't figure for the life of me how to open the case. He told me to press down a button on the top and slide it but this doesn't work! Please someone help me.

Jester2K II 09:00 07 Aug 03

Which model?

Jester2K II 09:02 07 Aug 03

I've found after years of opening cases that some slide easily and some are a paid to open.

With the Dell one i think you need to push the button down with one hand and then slide the top back with the other at the same time. The side panels are attached to the top and come off as one piece.

scotty 09:08 07 Aug 03

Sounds like the new black & grey case. If it is a new Dell there are details here:

click here

beastieboy 10:10 07 Aug 03

Figured it out via the Dell site - what a pain!

However I have one more problem, the system doesn't recognise the hard disk. This is what I have done so far:

Put it as slave in other computer and it worked, tried again, didn't work.

Formatted main part of drive on other computer, tried again, didn't work.

Formatted all the drive including Dell Utility section, tried again, didn't work.

With the above 3 I tried:

Using Master and Slave Cable on IDE 0, then using Master and Slave on IDE 1, tried again, didn't work.

The CD drives seem to work ok as when putting a Win XP CD in, the initial screens come up but when it comes to ask installation, I press enter but yet again no hard disk can be found.

It is seen on other computers, why not the Dell one? I think it's the 8200 Model.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…