open with?

a.palmerjr. 12:58 08 Apr 10

I was trying to get my media player working last night and somehow I must have pushed the wrong key or something because most of my icons on my desk top are the ones for musicmatch. I can't even use system restore because when I try it, it starts with musicmatch also. I've tried changing the icons but when I do it goes right back to musicmatch. Right now the only thing that works as far as I know is the internet icons, they haven't changed. Help!!!

birdface 13:58 08 Apr 10

Try system restore in safe mode.

mgmcc 13:58 08 Apr 10

>>> I can't even use system restore because when I try it, it starts with musicmatch also

Go to "Start > Run", type in...

[for XP] %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

[for Vista & 7] %systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe

...and click OK. This should open the normal System Restore window.

Pineman100 14:25 08 Apr 10

I'm not sure whether I've misunderstood your question, but I'm wondering whether this is a file association problem.

Are you saying that all of your music files now carry a Musicmatch icon, and if you click on them they open in Musicmatch - whereas previously they opened in Windows Media Player?

If that's correct, please tell us what version of Windows you're running, and you should then get a quick answer on how to associate your music files with WMP again.

a.palmerjr. 14:45 08 Apr 10

Thank you very much. It worked great. I knew how to use system restore but I never used it in safe mode.
In answer to Pineman100..not just music files, ALL files had the musicmatch icon and opened with musicmatch. Even when I tried to use system restore (not in safe mode) it would open with musicmatch. I'm certainly glad it's fixed!

robin_x 21:10 08 Apr 10

"Open With" contains a check box, bottom left of the opening window, that says "Always open with" selected application.

Easy to miss. Have done it hundreds of times.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…