Open with

Digital 11:42 22 Feb 07

When I right click on a file there's only the "Open" option. How do I add the "Open with" option please?

Diodorus Siculus 13:51 22 Feb 07

Hold down the shift key when right while right clicking.

Diodorus Siculus 13:53 22 Feb 07

Or maybe not as it appears now - what's your OS?

Digital 14:12 22 Feb 07

DS, it's XP Home.

Diodorus Siculus 14:25 22 Feb 07

The Open With context menu is only available when you Shift+right-click a file. But there is a way to add this option automatically to the menu every time you right-click a file. Launch the registry editor and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell\openas\command\. This subkey is actually the action to open the "Open With" box for "unknown" files when windows can't find the suitable application to open a file with.

To add this action to every file, we must copy out the value of the Default string on the right pane. Press Ctrl+C or right-click and select Copy.

Now go back to the top of the list and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*. Right-click on it and choose New Key. Name this subkey shell. Right-click on shell key and add a new subkey named openas. Right-click this key and add a new subkey named command. Now double-click the default string value in the right-hand pane. A dialog box will pop up. Press Ctrl-V to paste the complicated command line you copied earlier. Click OK.

In case you haven't noticed, we have made an exact copy of the subtree in the \Unknown tree. Now, every time you right-click a file, you will have an "Open With" option.

Diodorus Siculus 14:26 22 Feb 07

The above from click here

Digital 15:09 22 Feb 07

Thanks DS. That'll save me moving the file to a folder where the "Open with..." option exists.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos