Ooh, I DO go on a bit.... Celeron/Duron or what?

AngeTheHippy 10:55 05 Apr 03

Still looking at various specs. of laptops in my price range...about £800'ish, mostly on offer are either Celeron or Duron processors which, through past experience on desktop PCs, I'd rather stay away from ... EXCEPT ... they MAY be better in laptops ... I don't know! That's why I'm asking ya'all. I'll be using it mostly for graphics (PSP, Painter etc.) and website (FP2000)building - not games. What'ya think - with 256RAM or more? 20Gb HDD do I need a CD/RW and for Internet access - I'll be online while him'll be upstairs playing games...(doh) My desktop PC is still the main one, so the RW capability is on that one.

A very confused
AngeTheHippy
x

DAICAP 13:10 05 Apr 03

I'd stay away from both especially if you're going to use a lot of graphic programs. Any desktop processor used in laptops will drastically reduce the number of hours the machine can be used without recharging. If this is not a problem why not try an Athlon which shouldn't cost that much more.

The more ram the better and a large hard disk (minimum 40gb). It can be expensive to upgrade laptops at a later date.

jediknight007 13:17 05 Apr 03

Well, back in those days, the Duron used to be better than it's equivalent Celeron as it produced a slightly better performance but was much more cheaper. However, the Celerons go up to speeds of like 2Ghz so you might want to go for it instead since the Duron is limited to 1.3Ghz.

I would go for an Athlon XP or Pentium 4 though since they will handle almost anything you want. A Celeron will handle your current needs but might not do so in a year's time.

AngeTheHippy 13:20 05 Apr 03

sort of as I expected really - I just wasn't sure whether Celeron or Duron were somehow more reliabale in laptops than in desktop PCs. To be honest, I won't be relying on the battery life too much. Price is the problem through. For an (eg)Athlon with higher ram, the price starts to go up quite a bit... £999 and above...Another prob. is the tech.support helpline - I refuse to pay £1/min which is what a few suppliers charge...at least with PCW I've got the option of nipping along to the local branch and having them look at it there and then... All swings and roundabouts really, but if you want over and above the first years' worth of warrenty, expect to pay at least £250. If they don't getya one way, they'll getya another!!

AngeTheHippy
x

Taran 14:20 05 Apr 03

Intel processors, by and large, offer significantly better battery life than AMD CPUs on notebooks. This varies slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer, but it is a good rule of thumb to keep in mind.

Unless you play the latest crop of games, most notebooks these days will cope with pretty much anything you want to throw at them.

The notebook I'm typing this on has a Celeron 1.8 CPU/256 DDR RAM and it does almost everything I could need a computer to do, although it does benefit from a dedicated graphics card rather than by robbing system RAM. All of my serious graphics work is performed on other machines that are set up to cope with this kind task, but for most other use this and similar notebooks are just fine and it has power to spare. Then again, I don't play computer games. The graphics of your games is where you may encounter a glitch, if you want to run the latest titles.

I find myself doing more and more work on laptops and I spend less time on desktops. Unless I am doing some really heavy image manipulation, crunching some pretty monstrous datasets or playing with video footage, I stick with notebooks for the most part and aside from one very powerful laptop, all of my other machines are Celeron based.

I manage to get by with them, if only just !

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…