Ontrack dynamic drive overlay problem

bigboab y 19:16 26 Jun 08

Bought a second hand hard drive on Ebay for my Dell Latitude laptop. I ran the Xp pro install disc. First of all something called "Ontrack" appeared as a single line (dynamic drive overlay apparently)... I clicked boot from CD and it started to load...however,after it had loaded all the info,it restarted then when it came back it said "windows root system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt".. then would go no further. How do i get rid of "Ontrack" and also find the above .dll

MAT ALAN 19:19 26 Jun 08

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if any or some of the following conditions are true:
• The Default value in the [Boot Loader] section of the Boot.ini file is missing or invalid.
• Windows XP is not installed in the location specified in the Boot.ini file.
• The Ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or damaged.
• The partition path in the Boot.ini file is not set correctly.
• General hardware failure.

click here

the link may help...

woodchip 19:37 26 Jun 08

You need to download Ontrack software and use it to remove it from the drive as you will not anything with it until you do.

Fourth one down on the link click here

bigboab y 10:46 27 Jun 08

I tried all the web sites you guys suggested.. away above my expertise..in desperation,I put in the floppy drive and ran a Windows ME boot-up floppy I've had for years.I then ran FDISK and got rid of all the partitions on it INCLuding that wee 8 meg one .I then re-partitioned the whole drive into one partition.Took out the floppy drive,put in the cd drive and ran the Windows install disc...VOILA!!!.. installed no bother. It looks to me that the ONTRACK thing was lurking in the 8meg partition somewhere. Fdisk got rid of it.. probably using an XP recovery disc would have done the same thing..just didnt have one... Thanks for all your help guys/gals

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009