Onspeed, NIS and BD Blade Runner trojan

O2 16:09 10 Jul 05

I wonder if any other Onspeed users who also use Norton Internet Security have had this problem? With Onspeed active, searching for anything containing the word "blade" in Google (probably any search engine)causes a security alert for BD Blade Runner 0.80a with the source "local host" (i.e. my own computer!). The page is scrambled too. The same happens if I search for Blade Runner in this forum. Disable Onspeed and no problem. At least one other member has experienced this (search for Blade Runner, with Onspeed disabled!!). Onspeed seem aware of this and tell me "The new version of Norton gets confused between ONSPEED and the Blade Runner virus at times as both use port 5400 to operate". I've asked for more details. Cheers.

pwn4g3 16:50 10 Jul 05

Sounds like Norton are just using a silly method for detecting this virus, eg. any packets that contain the word blade in and travel via port 5400 are believed to be a virus. Seems like Norton need to sort this one out.

Professor Jones 01:43 15 Jul 05

I have had this BD Blade Runner 0.80a pop up in Norton, but not in the same way. My OnSpeed was unable to connect, so is off -- and the alert came on when I tried to seach for 'torch' at Amazon.co.uk (having just discovered that my torch is ruined by leaking batteries -- torth = flashlight, by the way).

And I have not been able to do searches for "BD Blade Runner 0.80a", as you outline above. I got here after apply my temporary fix: see below.

I also had the BD Blade Runner 0.80a alert pop up when I revisited a page at a favourite messageboard on 2 or 3 occasions.

Very weird.

I have made a temporary fix by getting off-line and logging in to my wife's ISP...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos