Onspeed - Is it a waste of time with Broadband?

RWBCAM 20:17 17 May 09

I first got Onspeed for dial up connection but I kept up the payments as it said it helped broadband. But recently I found that Internet Explorer seemed to work faster with it stopped. Is Onspeed a waste of time with broadband?

So now I've uninstalled it but I noticed this evening wnen I was downloading some ATI graphic drivers that the data transfer rate is only around 6KB/sec (terribly slow). It made me wonder if Onspeed leaves something that slows things down when you uninstall it, so that you would want to reinstall it. I'm sure I'm being paranoid

Stuartli 21:07 17 May 09

ONSpeed, for me, has always been the Emperor's new clothes.

If you wish to download software quicker, use FreshDownload from:

click here

I've used it for eight or nine years with both dial up and broadband and it does speed up downloads (no ads etc, just excellent freeware).

IIRC ONSpeed is intended to speed up web pages loading on the graphics side.

RWBCAM 21:27 17 May 09

Many thanks Stuart.....appreciated!! I'll download Fresh download when the current download finishes.

My broadband rate is normally 1.5Meg, so at 6KB/sec it's abyssmal. It also seems to be slowing down. It's currently transferring at 4.45KB/sec. I wonder if there's something else slowing it down.

phono 22:08 17 May 09

"I wonder if there's something else slowing it down."

It may be that the server(s) you are downloading from are very busy and their available bandwidth is slowing your download.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced