onspeed internet wont work

amosoreilly 13:22 30 May 09

i downloaded onspeed to help my broadband connection work faster. now i cannot connect to the internet at all. the first error is the windows vista dep, which i have totally disabled but makes no difference still wont work. i then allowed onspeed in norton program control and still no luck. if i try to connect to google it says something about virus and i dont have one have scanned with norton. all works fine when i uninstall gospeed, how do i configure it. im using vista home and windows mail and have norton internet security 2009, with thanks.

ened 13:30 30 May 09

As far as I know Onspeed is designed primarily to speed up dial-up connections.

I wasn't even aware it could be used for BB! It certainly shouldn't be necessary!

I would uninstall it and ensure it is removed completely.

Then do a System Restore and hopefully all will be well.

If not you will need to create a new connection.

I was never impressed with Onspeed even in the dial-up days.

Stuartli 13:51 30 May 09

It certainly can be used with broadband but, as most know on these forums, I've always regarded it as the Emperor's New Clothes.

At one time Tiscali used to offer a similar utility free of charge but eventually dropped it.

dms_05 14:03 30 May 09

OnSpeed works better the slower the connection. Many years ago I used it when I was connecting via my mobile phones 9.6kbps modem and it showed a very impressive leap in surfing performance. At 56kbps it could show some improvement but I can't imagine it would help at all with proper broadband.

OnSpeed works by diverting your request via their servers where all redundant information is stripped out before it is sent to your modem. That can be very useful if your connection speed is very slow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…