ONSpeed fast dialup

prince midas 16:05 04 Jul 05

Anyone used the company OnSpeed who claim that they can increase your dialup speed by 5 times.

VoG II 16:06 04 Jul 05

Type onspeed into the Search box on the left.

pj123 17:55 04 Jul 05

As VoG™ says. But I wouldn't count on it.

jack 18:00 04 Jul 05

On Speed makes some what to me some strane claims about speeding up your traffic by using compression algorthyhms.
If traffic is coming to you - how do On speed get hold of it to squeze to pass on, so to speak?
Having said that This maggies gave it a good write up in June or July issue.

Another way to get speeded uo traffice is to download a freebies registery script from

click here

Angry Kid 14:41 05 Jul 05

hello.

My father has recently signed up to ONSPEED and is delighted with it. It has also just had an update and things are running even faster.

As a light user, he thinks it is fantastic, and is well worth the £25 annual fee. Give it a try if you are not wanting BB.

Stuartli 15:55 05 Jul 05

Tiscali offers a similar utility for free...:-)

click here

woodchip 16:03 05 Jul 05

It's OK for Surfing the Web but will not Speed download by any amount

Mr Beeline 17:55 05 Jul 05

Jack

Onspeed works by re-directing your requests for WEB pages to a proxy server and it's this that compresses the data, sends it to you and your PC then un-compresses it.

I agree with woodchip's comment that it speeds up WEB browsing, but not downloads. It also tends to degrade the image of any pictures in the page you are viewing (one of the things the compression routines do to speed things up).

I used to sing it's praises (and use it myself) but since our local exchange has been broadband enabled, I've upgraded to broadband.

With some very cheap broadband offers around these days and the fact that broadband is pretty much available to everyone (I live in the middle of nowhere and can get a decent 1 MB conection), I can't really see the point in it now. Only my opinion...

Enjoy...

Buchan 35 18:46 05 Jul 05

I`ve had OnSpeed for 4 or 5 months now and was totally unimpressed with it at first. Lately however I`ve had a couple of updates and it is now nearly meeting it`s claims, as far as I`m concerned, however, if there`s a lot of dialup traffic on my ISP it tends to slow down a bit. I`m going on BB soon and I believe it`s got some claims there too!!!!!

benjamyn 18:55 05 Jul 05

Performance varies - some days it is great, others not so. However, if you use a laptop and connect sometimes with broadband, sometimes wireless and occasionally with dial up settings for the server and proxy can get very messed around.

latest download an upgrade has messed my modem connections around and I am trying desparately to sort this out - hence turning to these advice pages in the first place!

Mr Beeline 22:52 06 Jul 05

Buchan 35

Re Onspeed and broadband. According to the Onspeed FAQ, it only makes a difference for a broadband connection if it's 300kbps, or lower (unless this has changed recently). You also still have the business with images being de-graded.

I also found that with broadband, if you were downloading something big (EG. new graphics drivers), your WEB browsing slowed right up. Not quite sure why, but seemed to be the case.

I started on broadband at 256 kbps and was still using Onspeed at the time but decided to ditch Onspeed and upgrade to a decent speed (currently 1 MB).

You pays your money etc. etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…