UncleBulgaria 16:52 27 Feb 05

I currently have a dial up connection and I'm wondering whether to sign up to OnSpeed as I would not get full use out of a bradband connection. Does any one currently use Onspeed and how does it perform for you.

One final question. Can OnSpeed be disabled when logging in to Online banking?

Thanks for your help in advance

Salinger 16:59 27 Feb 05

Think the concensus will be - SAVE YOUR MONEY - it will not work.

User-312386 17:07 27 Feb 05

As Salinger has said these programmes say they can speed up your connection. They can not. All they do is cache web pages and the next time you visit that page it loads from the cache.

Therefore it cant speed a 56k connection any faster than 56k

TonyV 17:11 27 Feb 05

UncleBulgaria, This question has been up before. I used ONSPEED and have now given it up. The subscription is not worth it for the saving I got on Dial-up. It was something like 2 - 3 minutes saving over a month or so!!

Daibus 17:13 27 Feb 05

I have just renewed OnSpeed after using it for one year.
The browsing speed is greatly improved but the speed of downloading email, in my experience, is not noticeably faster. Without OnSpeed I would have definitely gone for Broadband, but this piece of software improves your connection, especially if it's a dial-up.
Yes, you can disable it for any particular site that you want, and this facility can also be set up within OnSpeed if you wish. The cost is £25 a year and I have found that their technical support is also quite good.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:24 27 Feb 05
  Buchan 35 17:41 27 Feb 05

I`ve got OnSpeed and totally unimpressed with it. I`m going to phoe them tomorrow to ask when it`s going to work. Have any of you guys phoned and if so what sort of response did you get?

TonyV 20:38 27 Feb 05

Buchan 35

I haven't rung them but did e mail them about the lack of performance, and all they said was that there was some improvement!! Well yes, 2 minutes is an improvement, but not a very good one over a month or more!!

Vixenight 22:43 27 Feb 05

I have been using OnSpeed since May last year and i find it greatly increases connection times to websites I use Opera which I find is possibly the best browser in the Market OnSpeed compresses graphics of sites and gives broadband speed when downloading graphics It is annoying to see comments which deride this program out of hand People should comment only when they have actually used it !!

Salinger 22:46 27 Feb 05

I say again, IT DOES NOT WORK, but feel free to spend £25, after all, it's your money.

Buchan 35 22:55 27 Feb 05

I quite agree with you about not commenting without trying, but I`ve seen no evidence of that here. I`ve tried it by using it at different times of day and night and the best times seem to be about 6AM to 9AM. Anyway, I have never had speeds of near BB figures. I`ll give them a fair chance on the phone, but it`s got to improve.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…