With only a Restore Cd, what else is needed?

TommyRed 19:31 09 Dec 03

New XP system only comes with restore CD, have taken an image when all my programmes were transfered from my old machine. Will I need a boot disk as the BIOS is set for floppy, C drive then CD-ROM. Thanks TR

spikeychris 19:44 09 Dec 03

If you have a drive image and all goes wrong just change the BIOS to boot from CD and your laughing

pc moron 19:44 09 Dec 03

Try changing the order to CD, hard disk, then floppy, and see if your Restore CD boots the computer.

If it doesn't, then you may need a boot floppy disk with CD access files.

plsndrs3 20:17 09 Dec 03

I agree with Spikeychris that booting to a drive image is a good idea if needed. However, pc moron's suggestion that you might need to change your bios to boot from CD first needs a little more detail form you please - is your a Packard Bell [with a red floppy disk]? If so, then you shouldn't do this as the disk instructs the bios to load from your hidden partition where the drivers etc. are loaded. The CD normally carries the 'free' software that was issued with the PC - such as Microsoft Works any other titles that would have been included.

To ensure that you are given the correct detail, who is the manufacturer of the PC?

Again, pc moron could be perfectly correct - but this needs to be checked BEFORE you change the bios just in case [although any changes can usually be reversed!]

Paul

TommyRed 10:22 10 Dec 03

No it's an emachines from Curry's. The BIOS is completely different from my old Tiny PC which was easy to understand and change the boot order. I'm struggling to even find the boot order to change it, any help? TR

TommyRed 11:07 10 Dec 03

Sorted it, found out where the boot order is and it was set to boot from the CD-ROM, inserted the CD and it booted from that. Thanks TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…