Only one sound socket on M/B

iqs 20:31 10 Nov 07

Hello.
I have just installed a DVD ROM drive in my friends PC.Originally he had just a DVD RW.

Both drives work fine.The only problem is,I can not locate a spare socket on the motherboard for the audio connection for the DVD ROM.

There is one motherboard CD IN connection which is being used by the DVDRW,the AUDIO 101 socket is connected to the front PC speaker inputs.

There is one free socket called the AUX IN,can this be used for sound?.

According to BELARC the motherboard is a SIS-667.The PC is a E-SYSTEM ES-102 with WINXP.

Any help appreciated,thanks

AI33 20:57 10 Nov 07

you don't need one. Let windows control the sound via the IDE cable.

Go to device manager> right click the dvd drive in dvd/cdrom drives and pick properties. in the new window pick properties again and place a tick in 8 enable digital cd audio for this device.

Totally-braindead 21:42 10 Nov 07

Agree with AI33 just forget about it. I just use digital audio. Try it it works without the cable.

iqs 21:50 10 Nov 07

AI33 and Totally-braindead.

I now have sound..

Because the DVDRW was connected I thought the same for the DVD ROM.You certainly learn a lot from the forum users.

Is there a difference between using the audio connection and the IDE connection?

Many thanks to you both for your help.

Cheers

Totally-braindead 21:55 10 Nov 07

The audio connection I believe is only for analogue sound.
To be perfectly honest I don't know what difference it makes but since my sound works perfectly without it and digitally I haven't bothered to connect it.

I'm sure someone will explain the advantage of having it connected - if there is one. I think its probably just an older version of connecting it and has no real advantage. I could be wrong though I'm sure someone will explain its use.

ambra4 05:28 11 Nov 07

ANALOGUE vs. DIGITAL Sound

To make some sense of the 'analogue vs. digital' debate take a read at this site

click here

iqs 12:24 11 Nov 07

Totally-braindead and ambra4 for your help.Cheers,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced